osx helper website opens random

okkehel
okkehel
Community Member

6.3.3 #Sat Oct 8 19:11:23 2016| 633000 [APP:(Main Thread):] M applicationDidFinishLaunching: | Starting 1Password (AppStore) 633000 built Sep 19 2016 17:45:42. Running from: /Applications/1Password.app
Sat Oct 8 19:11:23 2016| 633000 [XPC:(Main Thread):] S connect | Connecting to helper
Sat Oct 8 19:11:23 2016| 633000 [XPC:(Main Thread):] S startHelper | Starting '2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits.onepassword-osx-helper'

Since Sierra and/or the latest update of 1password randomly the helperwebsite is opened after opening the mini 1password in firefox.. why is that?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @okkehel,

Thanks for reaching out to us for help with this!

Can you please let us know a few more details about your setup and the problem you described:

• What version of Firefox are you using?
    • What version of the 1Password extension is installed in Firefox?
    • What is the exact URL of the website that opens?
    • What message do you see on that website?
    • Does this happen every time you try to use 1Password mini, or only sometimes?
    • What exact steps do you take to open/use 1Password mini? (For example, do you click the mini icon in your Mac's menubar, or click the 1Password extension icon in Firefox's toolbar, or use the ⌥⌘\ or ⌘\ keyboard shortcut? Or something else?)
    • After the website opens, does 1Password mini / browser extension work correctly?

Once we know a bit more, we should have a better idea of what's going wrong and how to fix it. Thanks! :)

• okkehel
    okkehel
    Community Member

ff: 49.0
    1Password extension: 4.6.1
    url: it is in my message: this is from an logfile: 2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits.onepassword-osx-helper; at the moment it has not opened
    an animation for how to use 1password
    only sometimes
    icon in firefox
    yes

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Thanks, @okkehel!

url: it is in my message: this is from an logfile: 2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits.onepassword-osx-helper

That's not actually a website: 2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits.onepassword-osx-helper is the name of the 1Password helper process that is part of the Mac App Store version of 1Password, and which needs to be running in order for the 1Password browser extension to work (in other words, 1Password mini).

So I'm not quite sure what you're seeing when you click on the 1Password extension button in Firefox. Does a new Firefox window/tab open? If so, it should show a website address near the top of Firefox, in the address bar. For example, if you click the extension and it's unable to connect to 1Password mini, it will open the following site with a message about looking for the 1Password app: https://agilebits.com/browsers/welcome.html

Is that the address of the site that opens in Firefox?

an animation for how to use 1password

Hmm, I'm trying to think of what animation that might be, but I'm not sure. The next time this happens, would you be able to take a screenshot of that and include the screenshot in your reply? That should help us understand what you mean and what you're seeing.

Also, please open the main 1Password app and go to the menu for 1Password > Preferences. Select the General tab, and make sure there's a check mark next to the option for Always keep 1Password mini running. If that setting was disabled, does the 1Password extension in Firefox work correctly after you enable it?

• okkehel
    okkehel
    Community Member

At the moment everything works fine. So i have to wait for the things you asked; if they do appear again, I will post the information.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

No problem, @okkehel - if/when it happens again, just let us know. :)

• okkehel
    okkehel
    Community Member

it happened again. After I started my macbookpro (sierra) from sleeping and clicked on the 1password icon in Firefox the website https://agilebits.com/browsers/welcome.html opens and an animations starts. I also noticed that it seems that the ff extensions is reinstalled in this situation although it was already installed (latest version). A screenshot is attached (i tried)

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Thank you very much, @okkehel! The screenshot is very helpful. :)

As I mentioned previously, if the 1Password browser extension is unable to connect to 1Password mini, it will open the https://agilebits.com/browsers/welcome.html site in your browser. So the problem might be that 1Password mini isn't running when you click on the extension in Firefox. Can you please check the following setting:

• Open the main 1Password app and go to the menu for 1Password > Preferences.
    • Click the General tab.
    • Make sure the option for "Always keep 1Password Mini running" is enabled.

If that option was disabled, that would explain why clicking the extension causes that page to open.

On the other hand, if that option was already enabled, something else seems to be preventing the extension and mini from communicating with each other. Do you use any anti-virus, firewall, or other type of security software on your Mac? Or do you have other extensions installed in Firefox which might fit that description? Apps or extensions like that can sometimes interfere with the connection between the 1Password extension and 1Password mini.

Also, in your screenshot, I don't actually see the 1Password extension icon in Firefox. Is it in part of the Firefox toolbar which is cut off from that screenshot?

• okkehel
    okkehel
    Community Member

Regarding your last question: yes, it is on righthand side of the toolbar.

1Password Mini is always running so I think there is an other problem and I it is Sierra. I noticed that since installing Sierra the computer needs more time to awake fully from its sleep. I also takes a little while to make an internetconnection. I have another app running with some problems after Sierra; it forgets a startup option.

thanks for your responses; there are greater problems in the world..

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @okkehel,

I haven't experienced the same problems with Sierra that you've mentioned, and I wonder if there's some other software on your Mac which is causing many of those issues, including the problems with 1Password. (Or, it could just be a coincidence.)

It sounds like 1Password is set up correctly, so in order to help us figure out what's causing the problem, I'd like to ask you to create a Diagnostics Report from your Mac: https://support.1password.com/diagnostics/?mac

Attach the Diagnostics Report to an email message addressed to: support+forum@agilebits.com

Please do not post your Diagnostics Report in the forums, but please do include a link to this thread in your email, along with your forum username so that we can "connect the dots" when we see your report in our inbox.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here so we can track down the report and make sure you receive a reply as quickly as possible. Once we see the report we should be able to better assist you. Thanks in advance! :)

• okkehel
    okkehel
    Community Member

the support id you asked for: [#WUD-39287-761]

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Thanks @okkehel! We received your Diagnostics Report, and I'll update the email thread with details from this forum discussion so it's easier for our support team to get up to speed with the issue. Someone will get back to you as soon as possible with more information, and we'll keep the conversation going directly via email to avoid complicating things between here and there. Cheers! :)

ref: WUD-39287-761

• okkehel
    okkehel
    Community Member

ok

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

:+1: :)

This discussion has been closed.