How to get rid of 1Password warning on launch of Launch Bar in macOS Sierra

midiw
midiw
Community Member

Every time Launch Bar ( version 6.7.2 ) launches it gives a warning about changing 1Password ( version 6.3.3 ) settings.

Using FireFox version 49.

iMac late 2009

( i just forget does this forum send a direct answer by email or i should check back periodically )

1Password Version: 6.3.3
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: macOS Sierra
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator

If you go to your forum account and then Edit Profile (an icon on the right nearly at the top) you will find some options letting you decide whether you want to be notified by email when there is a reply in the forum.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @midiw,

Thanks for writing in to ask us about the message you're seeing when you open LaunchBar!

Can you please give us some more details about that message? For example, what does it say? It would be great if you could take a screenshot of that warning the next time it happens, then post it in your reply so we can see it. To include a screenshot in your reply, simply click the document button in the top of the comment field, and select the file you wish to share:

Thanks in advance! :)

• midiw
    midiw
    Community Member

I am somewhat surprised that this problem has not been reported here albeit i have nearly given up trying to get macOS Sierra working and especially reporting Sierra problems to developers such as yourselves.. It seems that macOS Sierra at this time is very much in a state of beta: even if you breath wrong it hiccups. With this macOS version Apple have an absolute obsession about security which is a huge pain in the studio in that you can't add any new third party application, and then there is...... Opps, Sorry for the macOS Sierra rant.

Please help me get rid of that message 1Password spits out when LaunchBar and 1Password launch at startup.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Thank you for the screenshot, @midiw! That message from LaunchBar is referring to a setting in 1Password > Preferences > Advanced. As the message says, you can enable the "Enable integration with 3rd party apps" option there to allow integration with LaunchBar. We have a bit more information about that option in our user guide here: Enable integration with 3rd party apps

Are you having trouble finding/enabling that option in 1Password? Or is the problem that you keep seeing the message from LaunchBar even if you enable that setting? From your last sentence, it sounds like maybe the message itself is the problem, but I don't know if you've tried enabling the option in 1Password or if you want to set up that integration at all.

Also, because the message you're seeing is from LaunchBar, it's possible you'll need to contact the developer of that app for help to stop seeing that message. But I'm not sure about that at this point, and we'll of course be happy to do what we can to help you with this. Just let us know the answers to my questions above, and we'll continue from there. Thanks! :)

• midiw
    midiw
    Community Member

" Or is the problem that you keep seeing the message from LaunchBar even if you enable that setting? "

Yes i keep seeing this message from LaunchBar ( most current version ) even with the setting enabled ( ticked on ) in 1Password.

Your suggested solution please ?

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Ah, thank you for clarifying that, @midiw!

I did some digging, and a few other customers have reported a similar issue with that LaunchBar message. However, it looks like there are a few different things that have caused that to happen. One was an indexing bug in an earlier version of LaunchBar, but that was apparently fixed in LaunchBar 6.6. Since you're using LaunchBar 6.7.2, something else must be causing it.

Do you happen to be using a 1Password.com account? If so, and if you open the main 1Password app and go to 1Password > Switch to Vault in the menubar, is there a "Primary" vault listed there?

If you're using 1Password for Mac in "accounts only" mode (i.e. no local/Primary vault), that might cause this problem. Let us know if that's the case and we can go into more details about that. But if you have a Primary vault and keep getting that message from LaunchBar, something else is causing that, and we'll take a further look into that. Thanks! :)

• midiw
    midiw
    Community Member

Thank you for the valuable information and also for sticking with me on this most annoying message from 1P.

Well, 1P upgraded itself to the current version yesterday . Also have run Apple's Utility and DiskWarrior 5 including several reboots holding the shift key down ( i forget at the moment what that's supposed to do ). No solution. I, personally, am convinced that the " preference" file that 1P keeps telling me to enable is corrupted.

I have raised the question at the Launch Bar forum and tried their suggestions with no luck.

Now unless there is a built in repair utility in 1P i am at a loss trying to find that preference file in macOS Sierra . Speaking with plus 25 years experience of working with Mac's ( yes, from the pre days of OS 7.5 ) most of the time nagging application messages such as the one i am trying to get rid of are generally preference files gone bad.

Or, it just could be macOS Sierra requires an update.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni

Hi @midiw,

Thank you for the valuable information and also for sticking with me on this most annoying message from 1P.

Thank you for patiently sticking with us to get this resolved. The message is actually coming from LaunchBar; you can see its icon in the image you posted earlier.

I have raised the question at the Launch Bar forum and tried their suggestions with no luck.

I'm not sure where you asked there, but found this suggestion that ought to do the trick:

Re: How to get rid of 1Password warning on launch
    by JimClark » Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:38 pm

If you "show index" and find 1Password Bookmarks in the sidebar, you can right-click and disable.

That took care of it for me.

It's a work around. I'd like to be able to search 1Password, but it eliminates the error.

Like Jim mentions, that's only a workaround to inhibit the error. If you're interested in getting LaunchBar integration to work with 1Password, I've got a couple questions:

• Did you get the version of 1Password you're using from our website, or from the Mac App Store?
    • Are you using 1Password with a 1Password.com account?

The answers will make it easier to continue helping you with this. Thanks!

• midiw
    midiw
    Community Member

As best as understand that preference setting is that it gives me a choice. Basically ON or OFF.

I do not want to share ( or integrate ) the 1P bookmarks with Launch Bar so I do not click that preference choice to on.

Is that not how that preference choice works in 1P ?

Although, I have tried checking and not checking that preference choice and still get the 1P nag message that somehow is triggered by LaunchBar as you noted.

In reference to the suggestion by Jim Clark @ the LaunchBar forum where do i find that " show index " he mentioned ?

And i don't have a com account.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for the follow-up, @midiw.

Is that not how that preference choice works in 1P ?

That preference setting in 1Password determines whether or not the bookmarks-default.json file is created/updated for LaunchBar, Alfred, etc. to use. There's a more detailed explanation about it over in this post.

Here's what you can do to eliminate the popup from LaunchBar, regardless of the 1Password preference setting:

• Open the LaunchBar app.
    • Select Index > Show Index from the menu (or press the ⌥⌘I (Option-Command-I) keyboard shortcut).
    • Right click 1Password Bookmarks under Third Party Apps in the LaunchBar Index window sidebar and select Disable from the context menu.

• Quit and reopen the LaunchBar app; the popup from LaunchBar should no longer appear.

Let us know if it's still giving you trouble after that and we'll dive deeper to figure out why. Cheers! :)

• midiw
    midiw
    Community Member

sjk,

yes, that was the answer.

i appreciate you providing me with a clear description including screen shots. It took me a few attempts 2 remove all traces of 1P from LaunchBar's indexing. My use of Launch Bar is very limited. in fact i have wondered many times why i even have LB since most of applications etc i use are in the dock singly or folders.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni

Glad to hear that was a helpful answer for your success, @midiw. :+1:

in fact i have wondered many times why i even have LB since most of applications etc i use are in the dock singly or folders.

I use LaunchBar (mostly), Launchpad (a fair amount), Spotlight (not too often), and Dock (barely) to open apps.

When Launchpad first came out I thought it was silly. Turns out entering Launchpad is quite convenient with a trackpad gesture and also with a hot corner. So that's what I've ended up doing when not in the mood to use keyboard methods of opening apps. :)

• midiw
    midiw
    Community Member

Thanks for the heads up clues about using LaunchPad and hot corners. hummm, the LaunchPad has always been an odd Apple application because for me the arrangement of applications does not make sense to me. For example my Midi/Audio/Video applications or even favorite Games are scattered over the 5 pages. I will have to search for a 3rdParty application that can bring order to the chaos i see with Apple's thinking.

Now, although this has nothing to do with this topic glad iP has been updated by version 635. There was some authorization request by Safari to use 1P that would never get processed/accepted and simply hung Safari and 1P. Nice work guys.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni

Apps can be dragged around in Launchpad to reorder them to your liking, with or without organizing them into 'folders' there.

Yep, 6.3.5 addresses the issue you mentioned related to this:

If you see "1Password requires authorization" in your browser

Some others are mentioned in the 6.3.5 release notes.

Also see this post for details not covered in the aforementioned support article:

Security background for 6.3.4 extension authorization

Nice work guys.

I'll thank our developers for you. :)

This discussion has been closed.