Feedback on 1password Mac App interface - title bar and lock/unlock buttons

dbrandon
dbrandon
Community Member
edited October 2016 in Mac

First: Love 1password, but here is some feedback. I was using the mac app today and stumbled twice over things that didn't work the way I expected. First, the app doesn't have a title bar at the top of the window. It was in front of another window that was slightly darker, so to grab the window and move it I clicked just above the 1password window, expecting it to be the title bar, and instead lost focus.

The second thing is that that lock icon in the upper right corner works the opposite of the way the lock icon in system preferences does. I wanted to edit an entry, and I saw that there was a locked lock icon in the upper right. However, clicking this locked the app. This is confusing for two reasons. First, it's not clear that this icon applies to the app and not the entry you are looking at, because the "Edit" button is very far away at the bottom of the window. Second, when you unlock the app, the icon is in the locked state and you click it not to unlock something, but to lock it. This is where it's the opposite of system preferences where you click a locked lock icon to unlock the panel you are looking at.

Anyway, that's it. Keep up the good work!

1Password Version: 6.3.3
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.12
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member

I’ve been using 1Password for a while now – it’s easy to forget these things. Would it look something like this?

• The lock is closed when the vault is locked.
    • When the vault is unlocked the padlock appears at the top of the sidebar, so it isn’t conceptually linked to the password item.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @dbrandon,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write us with your feedback! We really appreciate it, as we're always looking into ways to improve our user experience. Although I can't make any promises about if or when we might change the way the top of the main app window or lock/unlock buttons work, I can certainly forward your comments to our developers to let them know. For now, I hope those things don't continue to cause confusion for you.

Aside from those things, I'm happy to hear you love 1Password! Thanks again for sharing your thoughts about that. If you need anything else, we're here for you! :)

• dbrandon
    dbrandon
    Community Member

Yeah, @neeklamy, something like that. The lock icon seems to make more sense where you have it for me, anyway. Maybe the "Edit" button in the top right of the window also?

@Drew_AG: it's definitely not a big deal, but I wanted to give feedback on an app I use every day. As a developer myself, I always want feedback from users, so I try to be that kind of user as well.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Thanks again - we truly appreciate hearing feedback from our customers! Even if it's something small like the lock/unlock button, if it's confusing for you then it's most likely confusing for some other customers as well. Please don't hesitate to let us know if you need anything else. Cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.