Backup file greyed out when attempt to select it

titaniumbean
titaniumbean
Community Member

Hi I had to rush job a move and wasn't aware/didn't research like a sensible person so quickly saved a backup file before my laptop was wiped.

I have a 1p4_zip file from a 1password6 vault on mac.

I have downloaded 1password6 on my new computer, transferred across the 4_zip file, when I go to where is your data 'restore from backup' doesn't allow me to select the 1p4_zip file it's greyed out. It is visible if I go to select 'this mac' but obviously this isn't the file type it wants.

If I double click the 4zip file it opens a sqlite file that when opened only find hashes (that's probably a good thing but also means I cant get any benefit from that route).

Changing 4_zip to .opvault and opening via this mac offers me the vault password entry box but then gives "failed to unlock, cannot load keychain profile".

What are my next options?

Thanks in advance for your help.

1Password Version: 6.3.3
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.12
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @titaniumbean,

I'm sorry you're having trouble restoring your data from a .1p4_zip backup file! We'll do our best to help you out with that.

You don't need to unzip that file, and changing the extension to .opvault won't work (as you noticed) because the backup file is a different format. But you should be able to select the .1p4_zip backup file when trying to restore in the 1Password app, so I'm not sure why it's grayed out when you try.

If I understand the steps you're taking, it sounds like you launch 1Password 6 and see the first-run / setup screen, choose the option that says your data is somewhere else, select the Restore from backup option, then click the Choose Backup button. But in the window that opens, your .1p4_zip backup file is greyed out, so you can't select it. Is that all correct? Those are definitely the right steps, so I'm not sure if the 1Password app isn't working correctly, or if perhaps there's a problem with the backup file.

Another way to try that is to launch 1Password 6 and choose the option to create a new vault. When creating the vault, use the same master password as before. Once you've gone through the setup and have a new, empty, Primary vault, go to File > Restore, then click the Find Backup button in the Backup preferences. Are you able to select your .1p4_zip backup file at that point?

If it still won't let you select your backup, can you please let us know a few more details:

• Do you happen to remember where you found that backup file on your old laptop?
    • What is the full name of that file? Does it include the date & time, number of items, folders, etc?
    • What is the size of that backup file?
    • In case there's a problem with the backup file, do you have your 1Password data on any other devices?
    • Had you been using a 1Password.com account, or were you syncing 1Password with Dropbox or iCloud?
    • Do you have any other backup of your old laptop (like a Time Machine backup)?

Thanks in advance! :)

• titaniumbean
    titaniumbean
    Community Member

Hi thanks for the response.
    Yes all the steps you laid out are correct.

No, creating a new vault (same pass) then trying to restore still has the file greyed out.

I got the file by going 1password 6 export all items and then moving that file across.

File name -
    1Password 2016-10-07 14_03_47 (1 profiles, 83 items, 0 folders, 1 attachments).1p4_zip

File size -
    172kb

Other devices (hadn't thought of this :) ) yes I have 1 password on my iphone and all of the items are there.

I think I must have synced 1password once at least to use my phone I definitely don't remember using 1password.com to do it so I guess via iCloud.

I have no recent backup of my old machine and definitely no backups in the same country that I am currently in (I wont be home for 2+ months).

i've completely forgotten it's on my phone so I've spent the weekend going through and resetting the bulk of the passwords that I needed access to.

I am assuming that this file is bugged/corrupted in some way and so therefore I will need to sync my vault from my phone to iCloud then connect my new app via iCloud and download the vault that way?

Is there anything I need to be cognisant of to ensure I don't somehow update the phone to an empty account :dizzy:

Thanks very much in advance for your quick reply.

titaniumbean.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Thanks, @titaniumbean!

I got the file by going 1password 6 export all items and then moving that file across.

If you had used the Export option in 1Password, that would have created a .1pif folder/file, not a .1p4_zip file. Is it possible you originally exported to .1pif and then changed the extension to .1p4_zip?

Other devices (hadn't thought of this :) ) yes I have 1 password on my iphone and all of the items are there.

Awesome! If all your 1Password data is on your iPhone, you don't need to worry about the backup file, because you can simply sync that data from the iPhone to your Mac. In fact, the 1Password app on your iPhone probably still shows which sync method you were previously using. Just open 1Password on your iPhone and go to Settings > Sync. If you're not using a 1Password account, then you should have at least one vault ("Primary") listed there, and it will show which sync option is selected (or "Set Up Syncing" if it's not syncing at all). So for example, if your Primary vault shows that it's syncing via iCloud, you simply need to choose iCloud for the Primary vault in 1Password on your Mac.

Is there anything I need to be cognisant of to ensure I don't somehow update the phone to an empty account :dizzy:

Although it shouldn't be a problem, it's a good idea to create a backup of the 1Password data on your iPhone and save it to your Mac by following the steps here: iOS: Create a backup

When you save the backup to your Mac, you might notice it's a .1p4_zip file. Technically, you could use that to restore 1Password for Mac, but if you'll be setting up sync between your Mac and iPhone anyway, there's no need to also restore from a backup.

If you need steps to help set up iCloud in 1Password, you can find them here: How to sync 1Password with iCloud

Please let us know how it all goes and if you have any questions. Thanks! :)

• titaniumbean
    titaniumbean
    Community Member

great thanks so much for the quick help i'll go through this tomorrow and try not to be a complete failure in future.

For reference maybe I did a backup and then manually found the 1password file in my directory and copied that hence it was 1p4 file extension.

As with everything. it seems to be user error :chuffed: :blush:

I'll get back to you if I manage to fail at these basic steps.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

You're very welcome, and I hope it all goes smoothly for you! As always, if you run into more problems with that or have other questions, we're here for you. :)

• titaniumbean
    titaniumbean
    Community Member

All worked as explained thanks very much.

• Pilar
    Pilar
    1Password Alumni

Hi @titaniumbean

On behalf of Drew, you're very welcome! I hope that 1Password behaves nicely for you from now but if you ever need us again we'll be here for you :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.