New Mac, new 1Password, longtime Dropbox, no Sync option in prefs, disaster.

David Gustavson
David Gustavson
Community Member

I recently set up a new Mac, and when trying to get 1Password working I mistakenly installed it from AgileBits' website, and thought I was being forced to change over to a new system using 1Password accounts. So I set up a Family account, but when I try to access my old (used by whole family) DropBox data, there's no way. There is no Sync tab in 1Password Preferences. So now I can't access my old passwords and notes, and can't get them into the new system, which I don't even know if I really want (I'm thinking not, at this point).
How can I get the new 1Password stuff to go away so I can get back to the shared Dropbox archive we've been using??
Wiping the disk and starting over takes a very long time.

1Password Version: 6.3.3 (6333001)
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.11.6
Sync Type: Dropbox and 1Password account

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @David Gustavson,

I'm sorry you're having trouble setting up 1Password on a new Mac! We can definitely help you out with that, and you definitely won't need to wipe your Mac's hard drive.

...when trying to get 1Password working I mistakenly installed it from AgileBits' website...

That's not a problem (or a mistake) at all! The AgileBits Store version and the Mac App Store version of 1Password both work the same way during setup on a new Mac. The difference is that you would need to purchase 1Password from the Mac App Store in order to download it from there (unless you previously bought it there). So don't worry, you downloaded the right one.

...and thought I was being forced to change over to a new system using 1Password accounts. So I set up a Family account...

The options during the setup might have been a little confusing, and if so, I apologize. The first time you launch 1Password, it will have a couple options - you can choose existing data from Dropbox, iCloud, a backup file, etc, or you can choose to sign into a 1Password account. It sounds like your existing data is in Dropbox, but you chose the option to sign into an account (and then signed up for a Families account so you could complete that step).

We started offering 1Password accounts earlier this year, and although they're the easiest way to sync and/or share 1Password data, they're completely optional - we're not forcing anyone to sign up for an account. We still sell and support licenses for the apps on each platform. You can find more information here: The difference between a 1Password subscription and a standalone license

...but when I try to access my old (used by whole family) DropBox data, there's no way. There is no Sync tab in 1Password Preferences.

The Sync tab in Preferences only appears if you have one or more local vaults in the 1Password app (i.e. vaults that can sync with Dropbox and aren't part of your 1Password account). You set up 1Password by signing into your Families account and don't currently have any local vaults, but you can add a local vault and sync it with your existing data in Dropbox. Just follow these steps:

• Open & unlock the main 1Password app and go to 1Password > Preferences.
    • Select the Advanced tab.
    • Enable the option for "Allow creation of vaults outside of 1Password accounts".
    • Enter the master password for your 1Password account and click Create Primary Vault.

That will create a Primary vault which is separate from your account. You should now be able to go to Preferences > Sync and enable Dropbox sync for your Primary vault (choose the existing sync file from within your Dropbox folder).

If you have additional vaults/sync files in Dropbox, you can now add them to the 1Password app by double-clicking on the .agilekeychain or .opvault file (1Password will prompt you to add it as another (local) vault).

At this point, you have a choice: If you want to use the Families account you signed up for, you can move your data from the local vault(s) to your Families account vaults. Or if you want to use 1Password the way you were previously using it, you can keep your data in your local vault(s) and continue to sync them via Dropbox. If you want to migrate your data from the local/Dropbox vaults to your Families account, you can follow the steps here: To import data into your new account

Does that help? Please let us know if you have questions about any of that, or if you have trouble following the steps. Cheers! :)

• lanceinjapan
    lanceinjapan
    Community Member

O. M. G. ! FINALLY! I have been trying to get a "sync" option in my Mac version since getting my 1Password. One of the most frustrating experiences of my life wherein I nearly ended my yearly subscription because I could not sync across my various computers. Not to sound like a turd, but many people obviously have an issue with this which means something is not right. The language is unclear or something. Thanks

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

I'm very happy to hear that cleared up some confusion for you, @lanceinjapan!

Just to be clear: if you have a 1Password.com account/subscription, you shouldn't need any sync options in the 1Password app because all you need to do is sign into your account from the 1Password app on each device, and your account data will automatically sync there.

But there are a few reasons why someone might need to create a local vault (i.e. a vault that isn't part of your account) and sync it with Dropbox or iCloud. In that case, my steps should help to do that.

If you're having trouble syncing your data between devices, please let us know and we'll be happy to help. Cheers! :)

• lanceinjapan
    lanceinjapan
    Community Member

Thanks, Drew. Well, here was my situation. I bought the sub and downloaded the app on my Mac and my iPhone. Seemed to work fine. Downloaded the app for my windows PC and chrome browser extension. 3 options came up: new to 1Password, already a 1Password user, and something else that did not apply to me at all. Chose the 2nd option because I had already paid. The program then went looking for a vault. Obviously there was not one on my PC. Tried to sign in some other way but I was always taken to that screen. Anyway, I don't really care if it's a local vault or whatever; I just wanted it work and it wasn't in the default setting.

• Pilar
    Pilar
    1Password Alumni

Hi @lanceinjapan

I'm sorry for all the confusion, I see what you mean about the "Already a 1Password user" message. While we wrote it with "I've already stored things in 1Password before" in mind, I can for sure see how you interpreted it the other way! Instead of the steps mentioned by Drew you need to add your account to all your devices. This link will help you go through the steps needed to add your account and be able to start using 1Password :chuffed:

Please let us know if it helps you and if it feels clear :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.