What are my options for syncing an iPad running iOS 7.1.2 with an iMac running 1Password 4.4.2?

sbarbaccia
sbarbaccia
Community Member

I have an iMac with 1Password 4.4.2 installed. I have been using it for a couple of years now. I'd like to know which options for syncing are available to me if I want to sync this iMac to my iPads, and would you recommend one option over the other and why. One iPad is running iOS 7.1.2, and the other is running iOS 9. I have downloaded the 1Password app on each of the iPads. I do not wish to update my 1Password program on my iMac at this time. Thank you for your help!

1Password Version: 4.4.2
Extension Version: 4.6.1
OS Version: 10.9.5
Sync Type: iCloud, Dropbox, local network, or WLAN
Referrer: forum-search:sync android 4.4.2 and 1Password for mac 4.4.2

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @sbarbaccia,

Thanks for writing in about your sync options! I'll be happy to help you with that.

Which version of 1Password did you install on your iPads? (In the 1Password for iOS app, the version number should be shown on the Settings screen directly underneath the "Recommend 1Password" option.) 1Password 6 is the current version for iOS, and you'll be able to use that on your iPad with iOS 9. On your iPad with iOS 7, when you try to download 1Password 6 from the App Store, it should ask if you want to install the latest compatible version, and should then install 1Password 4.

In order to sync between 1Password 4 for Mac, 1Password 6 for iOS, and 1Password 4 for iOS, your options are Dropbox or Wi-Fi/WLAN. (iCloud will not work between versions 4 and 6.) Between Dropbox and Wi-Fi/WLAN, I recommend Dropbox. That's mostly because the Wi-Fi sync option in 1Password 4 doesn't work automatically, doesn't support attachments, and doesn't support syncing multiple vaults.

Our current steps for setting up Dropbox to sync 1Password data can be found here: How to sync 1Password with Dropbox

Those steps are actually for 1Password 6, but they should be similar for 1Password 4.

Hopefully this helps, but if you have any trouble trying to set that up, please let us know. Cheers! :)

• sbarbaccia
    sbarbaccia
    Community Member

Hi Drew,

Thanks for responding! I do not know my version number on either iPad because I am still on the Welcome screen since I didn't know which option to choose. But I think all will be well now that I know the sync will work best with Dropbox. I will let you know if I run into trouble.

Thank you again for your help!

Sharon :)

• Pilar
    Pilar
    1Password Alumni

HI @sbarbaccia

On behalf of Drew, you're very welcome, please let us know how this all goes when you've had a chance to try it out! :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.