Error message - Updated Version Required

This discussion was created from comments split from: Multiple Copies of 1Password.

Comments

• raindog308
    raindog308
    Community Member

Note that you can also get into situations like this where 1Password can't start after boot because one version is newer than another. This dialog never goes away - it will loop infinitely every time you click Quit. The solution is to unmount your clone drive, start 1password, and then remount.

I don't know enough about 1password's internal to know why this is a problem, but like the "multiple copies" problem, it seems having a cloned drive attached at 1password start time is a problem. Unfortunately, having your clone drive attached all the time (so you don't unplug it and then remember 3 months later after a crash) is also important, which leads to this boot time messiness.

Still, love the product :)

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @raindog308,

The problem you're running into is a little different than the one from the previous thread (although triggered by having another copy of 1Password on the backup drive), so I moved your message to a new discussion. I hope you don't mind!

Thanks for including the screenshot of the error message you're getting! That error is related to an update to the 1Password database schema. It's not something we've needed to do very often, but one of the recent updates for 1Password included a change to the way it reads/writes the local database on your Mac. After that local copy of the database has been updated by the new version with the schema change, trying to open it with a previous version of the app on that same Mac will cause the error message.

In your case, it sounds like you have an older copy of the 1Password app on your clone drive, and the OS is trying to launch 1Password mini from that older copy of the app. If you update the 1Password app on the clone drive to the same, newer version that you have on your main drive, you should stop getting the "Update Version Required" error - although you might get a different error if the OS tries to launch a copy of 1Password mini from the clone drive (the solution to that would be to unmount the clone drive or delete the copy of the 1Password app from it).

I hope this helps explain a bit more about that error message, but if you have more questions about it, please let us know. Cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.