Safari 10 Browser Extension Not Functional

joebobatl
joebobatl
Community Member

Despite repeated removals and reinstalls, 1P6 browser plugin is visible in toolbar but non-functional.

I've uninstalled and reinstalled the plugin (1Password-4.6.1.safariextz) numerous times, but on each attempt, while the plugin installs and appears in Safari 10 (Sierra) extensions manager, as well as the icon in the app title bar, nothing happens when clicking on the title bar icon. The system icon works fine, though.

If it's any help, when launching Safari the following message appears, despite the fact thatI'm running iPassword6:

New version of Safari found
1Password 3.5.3 does not support Safari 10.0 (build 12602.1.50.0.10)
Please open 1Password and use the 1Password > Check For Updates...

I've done this repeatedly, and no luck!

1Password 6
Version 6.3.3 (633001)
AgileBits Store

1Password Version: 6.3.3 (633001)
Extension Version: 4.6.1
OS Version: OS Sierra 10.12
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @joebobatl,

I'm sorry you're having trouble with the 1Password extension in Safari!

It sounds like you have the latest version of the extension installed, so I'm not sure why you're seeing an error about version 3.5.3. If you go to Safari > Preferences > Extensions, do you see a second 1Password extension there, or just one (which I assume is 4.6.1)? Also, when you look at the 1Password extension icon in Safari's toolbar, does it look like a circle with a keyhole in the center, or does it look like a key? (If it's a key icon, that's the version 3 extension, which explains why it isn't working.)

If you only have version 4.6.1 of the extension installed and it has the correct circle/keyhole icon in Safari's toolbar, please try restarting 1Password mini: From the main 1Password app, go to Help > Troubleshooting > Restart 1Password mini. Then you can unlock 1Password and try the extension in Safari again. Does that help? If not, please also reboot your Mac, then see if it makes a difference.

If none of that helps, you can uninstall the extension from Safari and then install the copy available from the Safari Extension Gallery:

• Open Safari and go to the menu for Safari > Preferences.
    • Select Extensions, click on the 1Password extension, and click Uninstall (confirm you want to uninstall).
    • Close the Preferences window, then go to Safari > Safari Extensions.
    • If 1Password is listed at the top, click on that (if not, you can search for it in the 'Search' field).
    • Click the Install now link.

Does that help at all? Please let us know how it goes, and if it's still a problem, we'll continue from there. Thanks!

• joebobatl
    joebobatl
    Community Member

I tried all the above to no avail. For your questions:

1. The toolbar extension is the keyhole, not the key.
    2. There is only one version of the extension installed at any time.
    3. When installing from the Safari extension store, it installs version 4.5.1
    4. When installing from the 'Add Safari Extension' from the toolbar mini version, it installs version 4.6.1.

Any other ideas?

Thanks for the help.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Thanks, @joebobatl!

The latest version of the extension available from the Safari Extension Gallery is 4.5.9, while the latest version from our own extension download site is 4.6.1. When we release a new version on our own site, we also submit it to Apple, who must review & approve it before publishing it to the Safari Extension Gallery. I don't know why the latest version is not yet available in the Safari Extension Gallery, and my understanding is that there's not currently a formal process for us to inquire about that.

But it sounds like you had the same problem with the version of the extension from the Safari Extension Gallery? If so, to help us figure out what's causing this, I'd like to ask you to create a Diagnostics Report from your Mac: https://support.1password.com/diagnostics/?mac

Attach the Diagnostics Report to an email message addressed to: support+forum@agilebits.com

Please do not post your Diagnostics Report in the forums, but please do include a link to this thread in your email, along with your forum username so that we can "connect the dots" when we see your report in our inbox.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here so we can track down the report and make sure you receive a reply as quickly as possible. Once we see the report we should be able to better assist you. Thanks in advance! :)

• joebobatl
    joebobatl
    Community Member

So the troubleshooting tool seems to just spin and spin and not generate output. I left it for 30 minutes with only the rotating progress wheel to show for it. Should this take longer than 30 minutes to generate? I suspected not, but please advise.

I also checked my running processes and found a process called 1PasswordAgent using the old 1Pass icon (with the key). This process lives in /Users/NAME/Library/Application Support/1Password/Agent/1PasswordAgent.app/Contents/MacOS/

In Application Support, I found two folders - 1Password and 1Password 4. I moved those to the desktop temporarily, restarted to see if things would work. No luck :(

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @joebobatl,

Hmm, that's strange - as you suspected, the troubleshooting tool shouldn't take that long!

I also checked my running processes and found a process called 1PasswordAgent...

1PasswordAgent is an old component of 1Password 3, which is apparently still on your Mac. That might have something to do with the problem, so you should try deleting it to see if it helps:

1. From the Finder, select Go > Go to Folder... from the menubar
    2. In the Go to the folder field that appears, copy and paste the following text and press Return: ~/Library/LaunchAgents
    3. Delete ws.agile.1PasswordAgent.plist
    4. Go back to the menu option for Go > Go to Folder…
    5. Copy and paste the following text and press Return: ~/Library/Application Support/1Password
    6. Delete the Agent folder
    7. Restart your Mac

Please note that step 5 won't work if that "1Password" folder is still on your Desktop. But in that case, just open that folder from the Desktop and delete the Agent folder.

Or better yet, feel free to delete the folder named "1Password" that you found in ~/Library/Application Support/. That's the old data folder from 1Password 3, so you don't need that anymore.

But please don't delete the "1Password 4" folder from Application support - despite the number 4 in its name, that's where your data & backups are stored for 1Password 6. If you haven't already done so, make sure you move that folder back into ~/Library/Application Support/, or otherwise 1Password 6 won't be able to find your data.

After deleting 1PasswordAgent, you can try the extension in Safari again to see if it works. If not, try creating a diagnostics report again - does it work this time?

• joebobatl
    joebobatl
    Community Member

And that seemed to work! The plugin is again functional.

I guess that's what I get for being an early adopter ;-).

Thanks for your help!

• Pilar
    Pilar
    1Password Alumni

Hi @joebobatl

On behalf of Drew, you're very welcome! I'm glad to hear that the extension is now working for you and 1Password is behaving nicely :chuffed: I hope that everything goes well for you with 1Password from now on, but if you ever need us again we're always here for you!

• bcraig
    bcraig
    Community Member

I too seem to be having the exact same issue. I am running a Mac (10.12) and the 1Password mini doesn't work in either Safari or Chrome. I've uninstalled and reinstalled the extension (4.6.1) Deleted the old Launch Agents ws.agile.1PasswordAgent.plist, rebooted, as well as restarted the browsers. When I restart I do see a new splash screen that wants me to "Authorize 1Password" with a code but when I try to click the mini icon nothing happens. I have two computers at the exact same code levels and one machine has the issue and the other doesn't. Any next steps? I really need this to work.

• bcraig
    bcraig
    Community Member

I just found the answer in another post

https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/70788/browser-extensions-ask-to-authorize-no-authorization-dialog-in-1password-application

This really needs to be addressed. A simple visual diagram on your authorization code page showing where to go to give authorization would fix the problem.

• Pilar
    Pilar
    1Password Alumni

Hi @bcraig

I'm very sorry for all the trouble with this update. We're working to get this process improved and we appreciate your feedback. I hope it works fine for you from now on, but if it doesn't please don't hesitate to ask us again :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.