Is anyone experiencing keyboard lag and aggravating behavior in Nougat?

nullstream
nullstream
Community Member

Having the 1Password keyboard as a default in Nougat (Android 7.0) on a Nexus 6P has been an infuriating experience from lag and no-keyboard seen issues.

Specifically clicking on an input field for text would randomly net a 30 second to 1 minute wait for the keyboard to appear. Sometimes you can coax it with the cut-copy-paste actions or clicking on the downward triangle (keyboard dismiss). Applications appear to lock up while waiting for the 1password keyboard to load. Once loaded drawing has a 50/50 chance in showing what was tapped or having a large delay 5-10 seconds from tapping. Once I can get the keyboard to load and long press the 1password icon I can usually authenticate (with fingerprint/password) and fill in fields but sometimes the keyboard goes away and looses state so I have to repeat this action a few times before it works. I've also had instances on the home screen where the 1password keyboard should be dismissed but sticks around on-top of all drawable surfaces (switching keyboards have the google keyboard drawn UNDER the 1password overlay) which is kind of infuriating. You can sometime coax this away by forcing app transitions or loading the camera application but some times you have reboot the phone.

I thought it was Android itself initially but switching back to the Google Keyboard has these issues go away (but without the 1password functionality available). The behavior described above only started once I installed the 1password app and enabled the 1password keyboard functionality and is consistent on both my Nexus 6P and Nexus 9.

Nexus 6p - Android 7.0 security patch level September 6, 2016
Nexus 9 - Android 7.0 security patch level October 5, 2016

1Password Version: 6.4.1
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Android 7.0.1
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• @nullstream I am sorry to hear about your experience with the 1Password Keyboard on your Android Nougat devices. It shouldn’t take that long for the keyboard to appear, especially on newer hardware like yours. Let’s figure out what’s going on.

I use a Nexus 6P on a daily basis and I haven’t had an issue with delays when using the 1Password Keyboard. The one aspect of filling that requires more of your device’s resources is 1Password’s automatic filling service. This is the service that is responsible for scanning your screen when you are using the 1Password Keyboard to detect login fields and automatically fill your username and password into the correct fields. As a quick test to see if this is what is causing the issue, could you please disable Automatic Filling by going into 1Password’s Settings > Filling > Disable Automatic Filling.

Let me know what you find out!

• nullstream
    nullstream
    Community Member

Will give that a shot!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Great! I'm interested to hear what you find too. :)

• nullstream
    nullstream
    Community Member

Sorry for the excessive delay.
    Disabling the feature removed the lag in 90+% of the time.
    I still see issues with the keyboard not raising about 30% of the time though and that's probably just my not being patient.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Hey, no worries! You're busy too, and we're glad to hear back from you any time, and even glad-er to hear that helped! It may already be 2017, but the months sure flew by for me too. I hope you had a wonderful holiday season, and that your new year is off to a fantastic start. We're here if you need anything else! :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.