Questions about contents.js file

Comments

• Alain_55
    Alain_55
    Community Member

Hi Drew_AG
    I'm sorry to ask your team a big help. I'll try to explain what's wrong with Dropbox & co. and 1Password on several devices.
    Yesterday, I was looking into my Mac Dropbox folder, and I saw a file contents.js in it today dated. I opened it and saw so much confidential data in it that I'm really afraid. NOT ENCRYPTED. All my eMail addresses, My Pseudonyms, among all other details for potential hackers. ( I always trust you, so if you want to look at it I can send it to you ) I mean at AgileBit Team.
    I'm really wondering about that file that logs all my online activities. Not sure the "culprit" is 1Password of course, but my first thought was to put my 1Password.agilekeychain out of that folder. ( of course no more sync ), I shut down the computers and went sleeping. (exept iDevices)
    Today:
    1 - No more Apps updates on the iPhone, Touch ID button is not working any more.
    2 - Strange processes on the iMac never seen before, like a System process called mach kernel to Freebox-server.local a big input/output rate but I don't have such a freebox ( my FAI) ** - server.local** what's the hell of that. Admitting it's my Time capsule saving. But why do it mention Freebox.server ?
    I'm going to look to the boxcryptor products, anyway. Could you advise me about their tools (on Mac and iPhone, iPads )

Additionnal concerns that I will have to phone to Applecare Support

• Why I can't retrieve back in App Purchases on the iPhone. Some were onerous.
    • I have been PWND they said at https://haveibeenpwned.com/ with my gmail addresses. Arg!
    • Why some apps on the iPhone ( I can't remember their purchase ) are in my Purchases at Apple and they are upgrading without problems. ( But not the ones I remember I want to update)
    • No way to distinguish Free Apps and Bought Apps when they have the same Name…
    • Why Do I always need to back Up the Apps on the Mac AND on the iDevices, no more automatic update when iDevices are powered on ("Plugged").
    • Why Time Machine store those Apps…
    • Why ………

As you can see, I can't find any valid answers to my numerous Questions. No Apple email to send them at any AppleCare Advisor Level 2,3 ?!

BTW: Mac OS 10.10.5 + Mac OS X 10.11.? + iOS 10.0.2

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Alain_55,

Thanks for reaching out to us with your questions! It looks like those questions are unrelated to the thread where you posted your message, so I've moved it to a separate discussion. I hope you don't mind!

Yesterday, I was looking into my Mac Dropbox folder, and I saw a file contents.js in it today dated. I opened it and saw so much confidential data in it that I'm really afraid. NOT ENCRYPTED.

It sounds like you're using Dropbox to sync your 1Password data, and your sync file is in the Agile Keychain format (contents.js is a file located inside a .agilekeychain bundle). Agile Keychain was designed back in 2008 when devices were much less powerful than they are today (especially mobile devices). Decryption can be very processor-intensive, so the Agile Keychain format intentionally left some metadata unencrypted to avoid performance issues.

Just to be clear, the only data which is left unencrypted in the Agile Keychain format is the same type of information that would be found in web browser bookmarks - for example, the title, website address, creation date, etc. Sensitive information like your usernames and passwords are encrypted. We explain more about that (as well as our newer format) here: Your passwords are safe when using the Agile Keychain format

These days, devices are much more powerful and capable of decrypting your 1Password data, and we started moving away from the Agile Keychain format in 2012. The default sync file format is now OPVault, so if you're using the latest versions of 1Password on your devices, you can switch from Agile Keychain to OPVault if you want to.

As for your other questions, it sounds like they're about Apple products and services, as well as some apps by other third party developers. So you'll need to contact Apple or those other developers for answers to those questions. But if you have more questions about 1Password, please let us know. Cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.