Replace iCloud data with WLAN after restoring computer from backup

thelateadopter
thelateadopter
Community Member

Hi there, I am in the process of restoring my computer from a backup after the hard drive was wiped clean. When I downloaded 1Password, it offered to restore data from iCloud and I thought, great that will be easy. I have noticed this is an older data set and does not reflect my recent changes. 1Password for my iPhone is up to date and is syncing using WLAN. How do I get rid of the iCloud data on my Mac app and restore data from WLAN?

1Password Version: 6
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Mac OSX 10.11.6
Sync Type: WLAN

Comments

• Pilar
    Pilar
    1Password Alumni

Hi @thelateadopter

I'm sorry about the mess setting up again your computer, we'll get it sorted out in no time :chuffed: Is all your current data only on your iPhone now? Have you tried syncing your iPhone and computer since the old data appeared in your computer? If all your current data is in your iPhone and you have not tried any syncing between your devices, the easiest way to sort this out is to:

1. Make sure iCloud sync is turned off. Go to Preferences > Sync and check that it says "None".
    2. Delete all the elements on your vault. You can do so by selecting any element and then pressing Command + A. Then right click on any of them and choose "Move to Trash".
    3. Once the old data is gone from your computer, set up WLAN sync again.

If your situation is different from what I mentioned earlier please let us know about it to make sure everything goes well. Please let us know how all this turns out for you :chuffed:

• thelateadopter
    thelateadopter
    Community Member

Thanks for your help Pilar, that is my situation. All my data is on the iPhone and the data on my Mac is really old and not syncing. I ensured sync on the Mac was set to none, deleted all the logins, and set my Mac to sync using WLAN.

Now I feel like there is one more step I'm missing. I am thinking I should press "sync now" on my phone but am scared it will overwrite the phone data with the (blank) Mac data.

• Pilar
    Pilar
    1Password Alumni

Hi @thelateadopter

It's great to hear that everything's going well for you on setting up 1Password :chuffed: 1Password is designed to keep your data safe, and always falls on the side of keeping too much rather than too little. When you start syncing your two data sets will be merged. Sometimes, it means that you'll end up with duplicates (if you had saved the same item on both devices before starting sync for example) and in your case that you'll get all your iPhone data on your Mac too.

If you want to be extra sure you can do a backup on your phone before.

Please let us know how this goes and if 1Password is back on its feet for you :chuffed:

• thelateadopter
    thelateadopter
    Community Member

Unfortunately that didn't work. My iPhone had 600 items in 1password and when I followed your instructions, both the phone app and computer have 291 items. Some of them are recently updated, but some key logins are missing (such as my primary email address). I checked the trash within the app and they are not there.

I am going to restore my phone from a backup to get the old set of passwords back but I am starting to get really worried that I am going to lose data :(

• Pilar
    Pilar
    1Password Alumni
    edited October 2016

Hi @thelateadopter

I'm sorry to hear that you've bumped into some trouble. Before going forward, could you please check if by any chance you have more than one vault? Otherwise, I'd recommend you to send us a Diagnostics Report so we can make sure everything is set up in place. It's very weird that setting up a new syncing method would delete half of your items, for sure not something I'd heard before but something we want to investigate. We'll get to the bottom of this and get you sorted out!

I'd like to ask you to create some Diagnostics Reports, one from each of your devices:

Attach the Diagnostics Report(s) to an email message addressed to support+forum@agilebits.com.

Please do not post your Diagnostics Report(s) in the forums, but please do include a link to this thread in your email, along with your forum handle so that we can "connect the dots" when we see your Diagnostics Report(s) in our inbox.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here so we can track down the report(s) and ensure that this issue is dealt with quickly. :)

Once we see the report we should be able to better assist you. Thanks very much!

• thelateadopter
    thelateadopter
    Community Member

Does it matter whether or not I restore my phone from a backup before running diagnostic? I haven't yet, but I can. I think I may have set up a new WLAN because I had to enter a new secret word on my phone.

• Pilar
    Pilar
    1Password Alumni
    edited October 2016

Hi @thelateadopter

It does matter if you restore your phone first, the data that we need to sort this out might not be available at all if you send the report afterwards. You did have to set up a new WLAN server, but that's expected given that you had your hard drive wiped clean on your computer. Did you do a backup of your 1Password data before setting sync up? :chuffed:

ref: VMI-54338-272

This discussion has been closed.