Syncing 1PassWord with iCloud

Options
1NoahTN
1NoahTN
Community Member

I am a Mac user and want to sync a new iPhone 6 SE with 1PW using two software licenses. My Mac and iPhone are both current with the latest updates. I have followed all the instructions about syncing 1PW on my Mac with iCloud and I have set up Family Sharing on the Mac and iPhone. The Mac and iPhone are signed on to iCloud using two separate Apple ID's. Apple tech service tells me that the two devices should sync even though two separate ID's since 1PW is identified as Family Sharing compatible. I still cannot sync. Any help would be appreciated;
Thanks

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• 1NoahTN
    1NoahTN
    Community Member
    Options

I am using a Mac, 10.12 and want to sync 1 Password, 6.3.3 with an iPhone 6 SE, 10.0.2. I have followed all the instructions to sync 1PW on the Mac with iCloud. I have established Family Sharing between the Mac and iPhone. I am using a separate Apple Id on both the Mac and iPhone to sign into iCloud. Apple tech service tells me that the sync should be working since 1PW is Family Sharing compatible. Any help with the sync will be appreciated.
    Thanks

1Password Version: 6.3.3
    OS Version: 10.12 and 10.0.2
    Sync Type: iCloud

• 1NoahTN
    1NoahTN
    Community Member
    Options

I am a Mac user and I have used a stand alone 1PW license for it for several years. The Mac is using Ver 10.12. The 1PW version is 6.3.3 and Extension 4.5.9. I want to set up a second stand alone license on an iPhone 6 SE, Ver 6.4.4 and sync the data using iCloud. I have established family sharing on the iCloud account and have installed 1PW Ver 6.4.4 on the iPhone. I appear to be missing something in the set up because I cannot get the iPhone to find any 1PW data (sync) in the iCloud. One thing that is not clear - In setting up 1PW on the iPhone, the first step is to create a password for a Primary Vault. Does this mean using the same password as the original primary vault on the Mac? Any other help would be appreciated.
    Thanks

1Password Version: Not Provided
    OS Version: Not Provided
    Sync Type: Not Provided

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @1NoahTN,

Thanks for reaching out to us for help! I noticed you opened 3 separate discussions about this, so I merged them into the same thread so we don't duplicate efforts or cause confusion between each one.

It sounds like there may have been some confusion about Apple's 'Family Sharing' feature. That allows you to share purchased apps, but not the data you've entered in those apps. Unfortunately, iCloud does not let you share data with a different Apple ID. This isn't something we have control over, it's just not something that can be done in iCloud at this time.

The easiest way to share a 1Password vault with your family members is to sign up for a 1Password Families account. We explain how to share vaults via 1Password Families here: How to create family and team vaults and share items

Alternately, if you don't want to sign up for a subscription account, your other option would be to sync your vault via Dropbox instead of iCloud, because Dropbox has a feature to share files & folders with other Dropbox accounts. You can find steps to share a 1Password vault via Dropbox here: How to share a vault using Dropbox

Hopefully this helps, but if you have more questions about that or need anything else, just let us know! :)

• 1NoahTN
    1NoahTN
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks Drew, that explains the major problem. When I tried to set up 1PW on the iPhone the first step was to set up a password for the primary vault. Do I use the same password as the primary vault on the Mac if I want to sync via wifi?
    I really appreciate your explanation - very clear.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@1NoahTN: Definitely use the same Master Password. It will sync anyway, and frankly you don't want to have to remember two! Just choose a long, strong, unique Master Password, and you're all set! :)

• 1NoahTN
    1NoahTN
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks brent

• Ben
    Options

On behalf of brenty you are most welcome, @1NoahTN. If there is anything else we can do, please don't hesitate to contact us. :)

Ben

This discussion has been closed.