Using 1Password (Multiple Vaults?) to Reveal Some Items to 3rd Party Onsite Help but not others

ObjectConsulting
ObjectConsulting
Community Member
edited October 2016 in Mac

Okay! :(

Basic Details
I have a deployment situation that I need some assistance with.
I have some older less tech savvy clients who are just getting on board with not having all their passwords the same or bad variations of the same! Yay! We've installed 1Password for Mac and they've added most of their items in there.

Specific Situation
But what has come up is they have lots of 3rd party people that help out with the business (Accountant, Assistant, Graphic Designer) and they need access to certain items but they don't want to have to reveal 1 set of information with another 3rd party and that party is working directly in these people's 1Password.

Example
The Assistant is going to sit with the 1Password unlocked and open (ideally they have their own master password for their own vault with these individual items in there and not the others). But it working this way isn't mandatory.

Multiple Separate Opening Vaults used to exist
I 've been using 1Password for a long time and I do believe this WAS possible in a previous iteration.
The Mac client in 1Password6 still let's you pick individual master passwords for secondary vaults but they all unlock with the master password from the primary vault.
You used to be able to select a non-primary vault and open JUST that one.
But now the behaviour seems greyed out or unavailable.

You can't open a secondary vault ONLY.

The Question
So! Is there something I'm doing wrong? Is there a better way to accomplish the above?
Fast-user switching isn't really an option because these non tech savvy people need to be duplicating items anyway and that's just about enough. And duping them across user account wouldn't be that fun.
Would it be possible to use teams/families to accomplish this?
Any other thoughts?

In fact while we are at it it doesn't seem possible to open the demo vault without opening your primary vault either which is an issue too.
Is this the case or am I just not getting something?

1Password Version: 6.3.3
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.10.5
Sync Type: iCloud, Dropbox
Referrer: forum-search:Using 1Password (Multiple Vaults?) to Reveal Some Items to 3rd Party Onsite Help but not others

Comments

• Hi @ObjectConsulting

I'm very sorry for the delayed reply.

Unfortunately I don't think exactly what you are asking for is currently possible. It sounds like you essentially want multiple users for each 1Password installation, but that isn't something we currently offer. Our typically recommended solution in cases like that would be separate user accounts on the device itself.

With 1Password Teams the assistant could have their own account within the team which only has access to specific vaults. That is certainly possible. But if they are going to sit down at a workspace that is already configured for a 1Password account that isn't theirs there isn't going to be a way for them to use the 1Password app. They could certainly login to the 1Password.com website using their own credentials and access their vault(s) that way.

We are brainstorming about how we can best address this sort of need for the future, but at the moment either separate user accounts, each configured for separate team member accounts within the 1Password Teams organization, or having assistants use the web interface to retrieve credentials (they will not be able to use the browser extensions).

If you do come up with a different solution we'd love to hear it!

I hope that helps. Should you have any other questions or concerns, please feel free to ask.

Ben

• ObjectConsulting
    ObjectConsulting
    Community Member

Indeed.

Still, it seems like the "multiple-users" concept is one that could/could not exist in the software while still providing the functionality I'm mentioning.

It certainly used to be the case that a person could have multiple vaults with independent master passwords but this feature was removed in 1Password6 because of a security issue, yes?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited October 2016

@ObjectConsulting: Oh, there is no doubt that it could exist, just not within the 1Password we all know and love, which wasn't built with this use case in mind at all. However, we're continuing to look at ways of doing this in a future 1Password, but it's a complex thing with a lot of factors to consider: locking, backup/restore, autosave, 3rd party integration, sync, "starting over" — any one of these could pose a privacy, security, or data integrity risk, depending on the use case, so we need to carefully consider anything we do in this area. Thanks for letting us know that this is a feature (or, more likely, a suite of features) you'd like us to add in a future version! :)

This discussion has been closed.