Removing the subscription service advert that appears on launching the 1Password browser extension

Midhed
Midhed
Community Member

Hi,

I use 1Password mini under Firefox on my Macbook. Since the announcement of the 1Password subscription service, on launching the browser extension I get an advert displayed in my browser. I have no need for the subscription service and would prefer not to have this advert pop-up every time I launch 1Password. Is there a way to switch it off?

1Password Version: 6.3.3
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.11.6
Sync Type: Dropbox
Referrer: forum-search:removing the promotional advert for the subscription service

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Greetings @Midhed,

Are you sure it's an advert? We are aware that a small percentage of our users are seeing a welcome screen more often that it should be showing but the welcome screen isn't advertising a service, it should be reporting that the 1Password extension is successfully installed.

We have yet to pin down why the screen is showing repeatedly for some people as at the moment it should only show if you try to use the extension but the extension has been unable to connect to 1Password. When this happens we open a page and one of the actions this page can perform is to ask the browser to ensure the 1Password mini is running.

If you reboot your Mac and open 1Password, so that you know your vault is unlocked and then launch Firefox and try to access 1Password mini via the extension do you see the page open?

• Midhed
    Midhed
    Community Member

OK, it's not an advert - I got it confused with something else. You're correct - it looks like a welcome screeen - the sort of thing that would normally only be displayed once at the completion of an installation. But nevertheless, it's as if my default browser page was set to show an AgileBits webpage. It doesn't happen every time. My normal use of 1Password just involves the browser extension - I rarely load the full app. Normally, I'd load Firefox and then open the browser extension, at which point I often (but not always) get the irritating welcome page. Unfortunately, because the problem is intermittent, trying a reboot and opening the 1Password app won't prove anything unless I use that sequence every time I want to use 1Password, and that would be a bit slow and tedious. However, I will try it whenever I can to see if there is anything to be learnt.

Environment:-

OSX El Capitan 10.11.6
    Firefox 49.0.1
    IPassword browser extension 4.6.1

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Midhed,

Thanks for confirming which screen is opening!

I notice in your first message you said you're using 1Password version 6.3.3. We recently released a couple updates, and the latest version is now 6.3.5. If you haven't already done so, please install the update to see if that helps. It's also a good idea to reboot your Mac if you haven't done so in a while.

Do you still have the same problem after the update for 6.3.5? If you do, please open the main 1Password app and go to Preferences > General. On that tab, make sure the option for Always keep 1Password Mini running is enabled. If it was disabled, that probably explains the problem.

Please let us know how it goes, and if it's still a problem, we'll continue from there. :)

• Midhed
    Midhed
    Community Member

Hi, and thanks for your response.

Yes, I was notified of the two updates shortly after I first posted about this problem. I installed both of them straight away and it looks like one of them has fixed it. Despite the intermittent nature of the bug, I would have expected to see it by now - and I haven't seen it since the updates were installed.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Excellent! Thanks for the update. On behalf of Drew, you are most welcome! I'm glad to hear that all is well after updating. It sounds like you should be all set, but don't hesitate to reach out if we can be of further assistance. We're here for you! :)

• Midhed
    Midhed
    Community Member

Unfortunately, it seems that I spoke too soon. The problem is still there - albeit a lot less often than before.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Midhed: I'm sorry to hear that, but I'm glad that we're at least making progress! We've actually made additional changes in the latest beta of the 1Password extension for this particular issue. Can you install that and let us know if it helps?

1Password browser extensions (beta)

And if it happens again, please immediately send a diagnostics report to support+extension@agilebits.com so we can investigate!

This discussion has been closed.