Feature Request - Specify which browser to use for URL

khorton
khorton
Community Member

My default browser is Safari, and I do not have Adobe Flash installed. I've got a few 1Password entries with URLs that require Flash. It would be very useful to be able to specify which browser to use to open a URL. That way I could select Chrome for those items, and I could simply open the link directly from 1Password. Now I must copy the link, then open Chrome, then paste the link.

1Password Version: 6.5-BETA-23
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: macOS 10.12
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:browser

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    edited October 2016

Hi @khorton,

Thank you for taking time to write in with your feature request!

I can see how a feature like that would be helpful in that situation, and I'd be glad to let our developers know you'd be interested in it (although I can't make any promises about if/when a feature like that will be added).

For now, you shouldn't need to copy/paste the link into a different browser - instead, just install the 1Password extension in the other browser (in this case, Chrome). When you need to open & sign in to a site in Chrome, simply open Chrome, click the 1Password extension in Chrome's toolbar, and choose the Login item for that site.

Thanks again, and if you need anything else, please don't hesitate to let us know! :)

ref: OPM-2808

• khorton
    khorton
    Community Member
    edited October 2016

But, if you have items with multiple URLs under the same 1Password entry, the browser extension only works as you described if you want the main URL for that entry. If you need to go to one of the other URLs, and select it via the browser extension, it will switch to the default browser, rather than use the browser that you are currently in. :(

Kevin

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @khorton,

Ah, yes, that's a good point - selecting a Login item from the extension will open the first website listed in that Login. Clicking on a specific URL in the item details will open it in the default browser. So in that case, to open one of the other URLs in a non-default browser, you'd need to copy/paste it.

One possible workaround for that would be to edit the Login item and move that website address field to the top of the list (then save the changes, of course). The website field you move to the first position will be the "main" URL for that Login item. (However, if you also need to open the other URLs in that Login in a non-default browser, this tip might not be helpful.)

• khorton
    khorton
    Community Member

Yeah, I need to use a half dozen of the URLs in that item, depending on the scenario.

Browser Extensions: great feature!
    Multiple URLs in an item: also a great feature. But, the integration of these two features falls apart if you need to use a non-default browser. There are probably multiple ways to address the issue - I suggested one way, but I'd be happy with any solution that worked well, was easy to use, and not difficult to remember.

• Pilar
    Pilar
    1Password Alumni

Hi @khorton

Thank you for you input! Perhaps we'll find a way to implement this in 1Password some day. Thank you for letting us know what you'd like to see in 1Password, stay around to see all the new and exciting things that come to it :chuffed:

• mmoline
    mmoline
    Community Member

Here's a big +1 for this suggestion! I'd love to be able to both define a default browser choice on a login-by-login basis "always open my banking in Opera" but also on-demand "right now, open my banking in Firefox, but for this time only."

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for letting us know, we appreciate your feedback! I don't believe this is something our developers currently have planned, but I'll be happy to add your comments to our internal tracker to let them know you'd be interested.

Have a great weekend! :)

ref: OPM-2808

This discussion has been closed.