Issues with Bartender and new 1Password Mini "Authorization"?

jacobgraf
jacobgraf
Community Member

I just updated to 1Password 6 Version 6.3.4 (634001) AgileBits Store which includes support for the new 1Password Mini Browser Authorization. In Chrome, it came up saying there was a code I should compare to the code given in 1Password but I couldn't find the code anywhere in the 1Password app. I finally thought to click on the 1Password Mini icon in the status bar which showed me a code but I had that icon hidden into a dropdown menu using the Bartender app (https://www.macbartender.com/) so it never popped up automatically. Did you guys test with Bartender? If not, it might be worth it as I know a lot of people use it.

Also, my suggestion would be to be more specific in the browser plugin as to where you can find the code in 1Password.

Also, I would suggest the authorization box shows up somewhere in the main 1Password app as well instead of only in the status bar icon.

Lastly, once you "authorize" a browser, is there a place where you can view all of the browsers you've authorized and be able to remove old ones, etc?

Thanks!

1Password Version: 6.3.4
Extension Version: 4.6.1.90
OS Version: MacOS 10.12
Sync Type: Dropbox for Families

Comments

• yippy3000
    yippy3000
    Community Member

THANK YOU!

I just spent an hour trying to figure out how to authorize after the update. I had checked Bartender but I had to restart before the new Mini Browser showed up in Bartender for me to authorize with.

Please improve the message or better yet, add the ability to authorize to the main 1Password app.

• jpgoldberg
    jpgoldberg
    1Password Alumni

Did you guys test with Bartender? If not, it might be worth it as I know a lot of people use it.

That is a really good question. Bartender is very popular among us, but I suspect that we all keep it outside of Bartender.

Let me test right now to see if I can reproduce this issue ... mini's popup worked for me, but it did show up on an unexpected part of the screen. Ah. But I probably should have restarted Bartender after moving 1Password mini into its bar. So let me test again ...

OK. So for me, when Mini is in the Bartender bar, the confirmation popup showed up on the bottom left of my screen, but when mini is in the normal menu bar it shows up at that menu bar location.

• Murlyn
    Murlyn
    Community Member

Thank you thank you thank you! That was helpful! I use bartender also and I didn't even think to look at that menu. I was looking all throughout the main 1Password app and couldn't find a thing about this code that I needed. I even clicked on the browser menu item which I figured wouldn't work, but thought I would give it a try.. nope. Then googled and found the windows solution which wasn't helpful.. and then found this!.

So once I had the answer and clicked on the mini 1Password which also is hidden in bartender, it worked. and from then on every browser I authorized it would open up the mini 1Password with a popup which is obvious now. But the first time nothing popped up, nothing happened. So thank you again for the answer OP!

• ankushnarula
    ankushnarula
    Community Member

I just applied the latest stable build of 1Password for Mac (6.3.4) update. Immediately after the update a Chrome tab with URL pointing at https://agilebits.com/browsers/auth popped up with the "Compare this code..." message. I launched, locked, relaunched, and searched 1Password but couldn't find this alleged code or message. I then re-installed all browser extensions (4.6.1.90) but this also achieved nothing.

Finally, I came to a message thread in Beta and discovered that I am meant to click on the 1Password Mini icon in the menu bar (which in my case is obscured by Bartender and the icon is only automatically revealed if there is icon activity - which there wasn't here) to reveal the authorization dialog. And to top things off, the authorization codes didn't match - so I repeatedly refreshed both the browser tab and the authentication dialog until they matched and clicked Authorize in the 1Password Mini dialog. And here I am.

As much as I appreciate your hard work and unwavering approach to security, this UX was subpar.

• jpgoldberg
    jpgoldberg
    1Password Alumni

In my tests, the confirmation pop-up was appearing (though in an odd location), but from what I am hearing from @ankushnarula, @Murlyn, @yippy3000, and @jacobgraf you actually had to go to 1Password in the Bartender bar and actually click on it before seeing the confirmation window. Is that correct?

If so, can you let me know what your Bartender settings are for 1Password and OS and Bartender versions are? I haven't been able to replicate the problem yet.

Thanks!

• jacobgraf
    jacobgraf
    Community Member

Yes, you are correct, it didn't show up until I clicked the Bartender "more" icon and then on the 1Password Mini icon. I am on Bartender 2.1.6 and had 1Password set to "Show in Bartender Bar, not in Menu Bar" selected.

• ankushnarula
    ankushnarula
    Community Member
  • jpgoldberg
    jpgoldberg
    1Password Alumni

Hmm. Again, all I get is the popup in strange places.

I would like to test to see whether this really is a Bartender interaction or some other problem. Would any of you mind,

1. Moving 1Password out of Bartender.
    2. Removing the 1Password extension in Chrome or Safari (Firefox does things differently, making it hard to test)
    3. Reinstalling the 1Password extension into Chrome or Safari
    4. Seeing if you have the same problem.

So let's first make sure that this is a Bartender thing. There may be other reasons why it isn't popping up when it should.

• ankushnarula
    ankushnarula
    Community Member

That worked properly for me.

• ankushnarula
    ankushnarula
    Community Member

I removed the Chrome extension once again, added 1Password Mini back to Bartender, and reinstalled:

I suspect some persistent state was reset somewhere along the way.

• ankushnarula
    ankushnarula
    Community Member

This time I went into 1Password Preferences and disabled the 1Password Mini icon:

This is better than using the 1Password Mini menu bar item to prompt the user with a proprietary semi-modal dialog box. But perhaps it would be better to notify the user of a non-modal alert in 1Password via a modal notification message which the user can dismiss?

• Murlyn
    Murlyn
    Community Member

@jpgoldberg My settings are "show in bartender bar, not in menu bar" and then "show item in menu bar" for "2 Minutes" and popup window is not checked.

Also once I clicked on the 1Password mini and it showed the code, when I opened up another browser, this time it opened bartender itself and showed the dialogue box. It was only the very first time that nothing showed. Safari I didn't have to do anything with it.

Since I have it set to show in item in menu bar for 2 minutes.. if the menu item got some kind of refresh, or activity toggle.. or however bartender detects changes.. then that would pop it back to the finder menu bar. Although that might only help with people that have that setting on.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@ankushnarula: Thanks for the suggestion! Since this issue doesn't seem to affect people who aren't modifying, I think that having 1Password hide its menu bar icon is a cleaner approach. And while folks who aren't using a 3rd party app to change the menu bar icon's behaviour don't seem to be running into trouble, we'll certainly see if there's a win-win solution for everyone.

My settings are "show in bartender bar, not in menu bar" and then "show item in menu bar" for "2 Minutes" and popup window is not checked.

@Murlyn: Thanks for letting us know! Your settings are similar to mine, except I set it to 1 minute:

Menu Bar Item: [Show in Bartender Bar, not in Menu Bar]
    Item Updates: [✓] Show item in Menu Bar
    for [1 Minute]
    Popup Window: [ ] Apply fix for popup windows placement

As a long-time Bartender user myself, I'm always surprised when something like this comes up because I've yet to encounter it on my own system. But I do have one question that may shed some light on things since no one else has mentioned it: I'm also using the "System Item Control" hack to allow Bartender to manage macOS menu bar items as well. Is anyone else here using that?

• Jolin Warren
    Jolin Warren
    Community Member

Thank you @jacobgraf! This was driving me insane – I just updated 1Password and Safari and Chrome kept displaying the security code, but I couldn't find it in 1Password anywhere. I looked in the main app, I clicked on the 1Password icon in Safari's toolbar, nothing. Deleted and reinstalled browser extensions, still no luck. Then I came across this thread.

Honestly, I had forgotten there was a 1Password icon in the menubar since it's been hidden by Bartender for ages, and I always activate 1Password with the keyboard. When I clicked it, there was the security code, but it was the old one from when I first updated. There were essentially several security codes overlaid on each other, and clicking 'Cancel' wouldn't dismiss them, I had to click 'Cancel', then click the 1Password icon to hide the menu, then repeat. Eventually I couldn't get rid of the pop-up at all so disabled 1Password mini and re-enabled it. After that, the process worked smoothly.

I also think this was a bad UI experience, and 1Password is normally excellent. Even just rewording the webpage with the security code to say that we should check it matches the 1Password pop-up from the menubar icon would have been fine – I would have then thought to check in Bartender. But the page just says to check that the code matches the one shown in 1Password. Well, 1Password for me is the app, or the menu I summon from the keyboard, neither of which showed a code!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Jolin Warren: Thanks for your feedback on this! We'll see what we can do to improve it. I'm also curious though: if you disable the 1Password mini menu bar icon completely (Preferences > General) does that help?

• Jolin Warren
    Jolin Warren
    Community Member

Yes, it does. :) When I do that, upon installing the 1P extension, I get a window that pops up:

I guess I'd left the 1Password mini menu bar icon active as I thought there might be times I'd want to access it using the mouse. Given I forgot about it completely, I clearly haven't needed to, so maybe will leave it disabled for now!

Thanks for looking into this @brenty.

• ankushnarula
    ankushnarula
    Community Member

@brenty thanks for your reply

Regarding Bartender: I agree that 1Password is under no obligation to play nice with Bartender. However, if 1Password is using a proprietary dialog for authentication this goes a step further. On the other hand, I understand that there are good reasons not to use native UI toolkit when displaying sensitive information. Nevertheless, the disparity remains. And a simple solution could be to simply update the 1Password Mini menu bar item to indicate activity so that Bartender knows to push the 1Password Mini icon to the system menu bar.

Anyway, I am only pushing this point because I ran into the same headache today when I was using Safari in a separate fullscreen space. And this time I knew to click on the 1Password Mini icon under the Bartender bar. But suddenly clicking authorize or cancel from the 1Password authorization dialog did not work. Clicking authorize would occasionally refresh the code and clicking cancel would not dismiss the dialog. Eventually, I had to kill 1Password Mini, uninstall the Safari extension, remove the icon from Bartender, and restart the process. Not cool.

I can appreciate that you will prioritize this issue based first on the size of the subset of users using Bartender and then the size of the subset of those Bartender users who are actually reporting problems. However, and I can only speak for myself, I am not trying to "just get this to work" in this one instance. I want this to work without friction so I don't dread dealing with it in the future and make poor decisions/workarounds based on that dread. I also don't want to wrongly feel that AgileBits is lax about an edge case that only applies to sophisticated users who can handle the cognitive load. That's my two cents and I'll leave it there.

Thanks for being responsive and please keep up the good work!

• Murlyn
    Murlyn
    Community Member

@brenty I might be using the hack since when I just tested with Siri, it went right into bartender with no problems. I remember doing something like the hack recently, so it might been because of bartender. It's been awhile.. :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Jolin Warren: Thanks so much for letting me know! Glad that helped you! :chuffed: :+1:

@Murlyn: I'm sorry if I caused any confusion! To be clear, I'm not suggesting that the "System Item Control" hack is the cause here. I use it myself and haven't encountered these issues with Bartender and the 1Password icon. I'm just trying to gather any data that may be relevant to see if we can find a way around this. It sounds like disabling the 1Password mini menu bar icon may be the way to go if having Bartender control it causes issues. We'll continue to look into this though. :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Regarding Bartender: I agree that 1Password is under no obligation to play nice with Bartender. However, if 1Password is using a proprietary dialog for authentication this goes a step further. On the other hand, I understand that there are good reasons not to use native UI toolkit when displaying sensitive information. Nevertheless, the disparity remains. And a simple solution could be to simply update the 1Password Mini menu bar item to indicate activity so that Bartender knows to push the 1Password Mini icon to the system menu bar.

@ankushnarula: I think your suggested solution would definitely help you and others who are encountering issues with Bartender controlling the 1Password mini menu bar icon, but I think it's important to keep perspective. Making changes for such a small segment of the user base may not be appropriate or a wise use of resources, but it's something we can certainly consider. And while you're absolutely right that having the 1Password icon "flash" or change somehow would help in your case, not every Bartender user enables the "Icon Updates" setting, and frankly many people find menu bar icons that change a bit distracting. :(

Anyway, I am only pushing this point because I ran into the same headache today when I was using Safari in a separate fullscreen space. And this time I knew to click on the 1Password Mini icon under the Bartender bar. But suddenly clicking authorize or cancel from the 1Password authorization dialog did not work. Clicking authorize would occasionally refresh the code and clicking cancel would not dismiss the dialog. Eventually, I had to kill 1Password Mini, uninstall the Safari extension, remove the icon from Bartender, and restart the process. Not cool.

I agree. That sounds infuriating. Based on my own experience, fullscreen weirdness like this doesn't seem to be limited to the new 1Password authentication or even 1Password itself, but you can believe if we can find a way to fix it, we will. If no one else brings this stuff up, I tend to assume it's just me. :lol:

I can appreciate that you will prioritize this issue based first on the size of the subset of users using Bartender and then the size of the subset of those Bartender users who are actually reporting problems. However, and I can only speak for myself, I am not trying to "just get this to work" in this one instance. I want this to work without friction so I don't dread dealing with it in the future and make poor decisions/workarounds based on that dread. I also don't want to wrongly feel that AgileBits is lax about an edge case that only applies to sophisticated users who can handle the cognitive load. That's my two cents and I'll leave it there.

No. You're absolutely right. However, I'd rather not be too hasty, as Bartender users seem to be a low percentage of 1Password's install base, and the percentage of Bartender users affected by this is even smaller still. Apart from the occasional floating bar-less "ghost" menu bar icons, I haven't run into issues like this myself. So our goal isn't to accommodate all other 3rd party software out there (no matter how much I happen to love Bartender personally!), but we're looking into ways to make 1Password users not suffer from strange interactions like this. Thanks so much for your feedback on this! :)

Thanks for being responsive and please keep up the good work!

Likewise, if you and others here hadn't brought this up, I'd have no idea this was causing trouble for my fellow Bartender and 1Password users! I'm sure we'll come up with something. Thanks for your kind words, constructive criticism, and overall support! :chuffed:

ref: OPM-4431

• dbevington
    dbevington
    Community Member
    edited October 2016

I authorised extension in Safari. This is recognised in Chrome, but not in Firefox. Firefox wants me to install and authorise in 1Password. Clicking extension has no effect. Uninstalling and reinstalling also does not change behaviour. I like to use multiple browsers, but need to be able to use 1Password in all browsers. Also no code is displayed in Firefox

• dbevington
    dbevington
    Community Member
    edited October 2016

to allow me to authorise the extension. When I moved 1Password out of Bartender, it worked for me in Firefox. Authorisation code displayed and matched.

• dbevington
    dbevington
    Community Member

When I moved 1Password out of Bartender, it worked for me in Firefox. Authorisation code displayed and matched.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Great! Thanks for letting me know. I'm glad that worked for you! :)

• Jolin Warren
    Jolin Warren
    Community Member
    edited October 2016

Apart from the occasional floating bar-less "ghost" menu bar icons, I haven't run into issues like this myself.

@benty: Can I suggest that maybe the reason you’ve not run into this issue is that for some reason it only happens the first time someone's installed/updated 1Password?

As I described above, after updating to 1Password 6.3.4, I could not figure out where to find the authorisation code, no pop-up appeared, etc (my 1Password menubar icon is in Bartender). After reading this thread, I looked in Bartender and authorised the 1Password extension.

However, given that @benty has not been able to see this, I just tried a little test. I made sure the 1Password mini menubar icon was enabled, made sure it was in Bartender, then uninstalled and re-installed the 1Password extension. What happened? This:

So it seems that once you've successfully seen the authorisation menubar popup, subsequent activations will display it (somewhere).

I wonder if you would be able to reproduce the issue by creating a new user, installing Bartender, installing 1Password, hiding the menubar icon in Bartender, and then installing the browser extension?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Jolin Warren: That's an excellent point! I probably do more updates and fresh installs in the name of 1Password than you'd want to know though, and sadly, even with my penchant for Bartender, this still hasn't come up for me (though I know that floating icon well!)

However, you just made me think of a question I should have asked sooner: Are you using the AgileBits Store version of 1Password (1Password 6.app) or the Mac App Store version (1Password.app)? I tend to use the former since betas aren't available from the App Store, so I wonder if that could account for the difference in our experiences. :blush:

• Jolin Warren
    Jolin Warren
    Community Member

I'm using the AgileBits Store version. :|

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Aww man... Well, it was worth a shot. Thanks for getting back to me. :unamused:

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @dbevington,

I noticed you posted a couple messages about the problem you were having in another forum discussion about a different issue with the extension authorization. To avoid confusion, I moved those messages to this thread. It looks like you already solved the problem, but I wanted to let you know just in case you were curious. ;)

We're here for you if you need anything else! :)

This discussion has been closed.