Is it still recommended to use Apple store version for iCloud syncing?

mikebore
mikebore
Community Member

Last time I looked into this, over a year ago, Agile was saying if you want to use iCloud syncing it is better to use the Apple Store version. It was said then that although the Agile Store version worked with iCloud syncing, Agile could not guarantee that would continue, so better to use the Apple Store version.
Has the recommendation changed since then?
Thanks

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator

Yes.

A long time ago the situation was as you describe. Then (which caused a lot of heartbreak) Apple removed the ability to use iCloud for apps not from the App Store.

Finally they provided an official way for apps to use iCloud. Given that this is now official from Apple's point of view, I don't think they will ever remove that option.

And unless you really prefer Apple's approach to licencing, I don't think there is any good reason to buy from the App Store rather than direct from AgileBits.

If you buy direct you get a thirty day trial period and a further thirty day refund period. Also you cvan choose between the old licencing approach or the new subscription-based approach. For new users I suspect the subscription is better value, but see https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/68576/whats-the-difference-between-a-1password-subscription-and-a-standalone-license#latest for a detailed comparison.

• mikebore
    mikebore
    Community Member

Thanks for clear answer, and glad the previous situation is resolved. One supplementary question please, although in the wrong forum. I am currently on the beta program with Agilebits Store version.....any reason why this can't be used with iCloud syncing?

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @mikebore,

I'm glad danco's information was helpful for you!

I am currently on the beta program with Agilebits Store version.....any reason why this can't be used with iCloud syncing?

No reason that I can think of, no. You can definitely sync with iCloud using the beta version of 1Password. In fact, it works very well for me in the beta version when I sync with iCloud. But if you run into any problems with that, please let us know - we're always happy to help! :)

• mikebore
    mikebore
    Community Member

Thanks. I have switched over to iCloud on all my devices.

• Pilar
    Pilar
    1Password Alumni

Hi @mikebore

On behalf of Drew, you're very welcome! I hope you enjoy using iCloud sync and everything goes well for you with 1Password but if you ever need us we're always here to help you :chuffed:

• mikebore
    mikebore
    Community Member

I am afraid it isn't actually :| , but I have started a new thread in the mac beta forum because I thought initially the problem was only with my mac with the beta, but it has since become a problem on the Mac with standard 1P on.

https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/70853/problems-after-switching-dropbox-to-icloud#latest

• Pilar
    Pilar
    1Password Alumni

Hi @mikebore

I'm very sorry to hear that you've found some more trouble with all this :( We'll get to you on the other post where you've posted the details so we can help you better and keep everything on the same place. We'll get this sorted out soon! :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.