Error message -1012 attempting update to 6.3.4

ashleyk
ashleyk
Community Member
edited October 2016 in Mac

As the subject says I can't update from 6.3.3 to 6.3.4 and receive the -1012 message error as shown in the attachment. Perhaps somebody at Agilebits knows the cause.

1Password Version: 6.3.4
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.12 (16A323)
Sync Type: DropBox

Comments

• plus91uk
    plus91uk
    Community Member

Yes saw that but was not sure what your were running so thought better start a new post

• ashleyk
    ashleyk
    Community Member

@plus91uk I haven't tried it but in theory we can probably download a full installer from the agile bits site and try that way. There is clearly a problem here with the usual update method, but perhaps only affecting Sierra.

• ashleyk
    ashleyk
    Community Member
    edited October 2016

I downloaded and installed 6.3.4 from the main site and that worked. https://agilebits.com/downloads

At the first attempt to start 1Password an error message popped up as shown in the attachment, but quitting and restarting 1Password fixed this.

• plus91uk
    plus91uk
    Community Member

Just done the same and seems ok ;)

• Hi @ashleyk @plus91uk @lotusking,

I'm curious, were any of you running 1Password out of your Downloads folder? There is a new and annoying security feature in Sierra that does something behind your back when running applications out of your Downloads folder. When you run an app from your Downloads folder it takes that App and moves it to a secret location on a read-only disk image that it then mounts and runs the application. This makes it impossible for our Updater to actually update the application since the volume that its running from is a read only.

This is partially the reason we switched to the installer package for our distribution format on the downloads site, no risk of the application being launched from the downloads folder if the installer specifically installs it into /Applications. The nice thing about the Installer on Sierra is that it even offers to dispose of the package when its done installing.

Rudy

• ashleyk
    ashleyk
    Community Member

@rudy In my case it is just running in the normal apps folder.

• plus91uk
    plus91uk
    Community Member

@rudy as far as I am aware was in apps folder but will check when home

• lotusking
    lotusking
    Community Member

everything OK, thanks!
    :)

• Pilar
    Pilar
    1Password Alumni

Hi @ashleyk

Thank you for the answer, I'm not sure if 1Password is working now for you or if you're still having trouble with the error message that you posted above. In case you do, could you please try restarting your computer and see if that works? Please let us know how that goes for you :chuffed:

@plus91uk Thank you! We'll be waiting for your answer! If you have reinstalled 1Password however I think 1Password will show in the Applications folder regardless of where it was when you originally had the issue :chuffed:

@lotusking Thank you for the update! It's great news that 1Password is back on it's feet for you. I hope that everything goes smoothly for you for now on but if you bump into any trouble we're here to help you!

• plus91uk
    plus91uk
    Community Member

Hi @Pilar have checked and as you said its in the Apps folder now, so checked one of my backups and it was in the App folder.

• Hi @ashleyk @plus91uk @lotusking,
    Probably you had an old certificate in the local cache. GlobalSign had the Certificate Revocation Issue last week and some users still might have an outdated certificate information stored in the local cache.
    Please read this article and follow the suggested steps if you are still seeing the 'NSURLErrorDomain error' message.

• ashleyk
    ashleyk
    Community Member

It's all working fine here now as far as I can tell. I just wasn't able to update in the usual manner and had to download the full installer from the agile bits site.

• oromanow
    oromanow
    Community Member

The link in VitalyG comment October 18, about the article 'NSURLErrorDomain error' message, does not lead anywhere.
    http://https//support.globalsign.com/customer/portal/articles/1353318
    Safari says that it can't find the server. What is the correct link?

I still have this 'NSURLErrorDomain error' message problem, albeit I updated my 1Password6 to the newest version 6.3.4. (from the downloads area).
    If I try now to check the update via menu in version 6.3.4., the error still persist.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@ashleyk: Thanks for letting us know! I'm sorry for the inconvenience, but I'm glad you were able to download it from our site. :)

@oromanow: Sorry for the confusion! I had to track that down earlier myself because Globalsign changed the URL slightly for some reason. Try this:

https://support.globalsign.com/customer/portal/articles/1353318-view-and-or-delete-crl-ocsp-cache

Most folks are seeing this resolved today, but that may help if it's still being cached locally for you. Otherwise it's necessary to just wait it out.

• Gringo
    Gringo
    Community Member

When I click on the “Check for Update” in 1Password 6 on my iMac I get Failed to check for updates. The operation couldn’t be completed.(NSURLErrorDomain error -1012.) I have the AgileBits 1Password 6 on my MacBooK and it works OK. My problem started on my iMac when… I deleted the 1Password from the Apple Apps store on my iMac. ( I used an apps uninstaller to remove 1Password.) I then installed 1Password 6 from AgileBits on my iMac. It all worked until went to check for updates. The MacBook works but the iMac gets errors. I think it has something to do with the fact that the iMac had a version from the apps store before, but I can’t figure out how to fix it.

1Password Version: 6.3.5 on MacBook 6.3.4 on iMac
    Extension Version: 4.6.1
    OS Version: macOS Sierra 10.12
    Sync Type: Dropbox

• ashleyk
    ashleyk
    Community Member
    edited October 2016

@brenty That problem is back with 6.3.5. 1Password refuses to update normally and throws up the same error mentioned in the first post.

I can download from the main site but this is unusual behaviour that wasn't present in the past.

UPDATE: Fixed it by running the Sierra specific terminal command that I didn't notice before:

sqlite3 ~/Library/Keychains/*/ocspcache.sqlite3 'DELETE FROM ocsp;'

• terryzx
    terryzx
    Community Member

I had the beta 6.5 ver 23 that kept getting update errors....so I reinstalled the app and not have 6.3.6 and it will NOT update either:

The operation couldn’t be completed. (NSURLErrorDomain error -1012.)

What is happening here???

1Password Version: Not Provided
    Extension Version: Not Provided
    OS Version: OS X 10.12
    Sync Type: Not Provided

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Gringo,

Sorry to hear you're getting an error when checking for updates!

When you check for updates from the 1Password app, does it get as far as launching 1Password Updater before giving you the error message? If so, you can try changing the source of the download under the Source menu in the 1Password Updater app. There should be a few options in that menu, and you can try each one to see if they work.

Does that help at all? If not, it could be a temporary problem and might work if you try again later. Or as you may already know, you can also simply download the latest version of the app from our download site.

Let us know how it goes, thanks! :)

• terryzx
    terryzx
    Community Member

I have this exact same problem and I see no "Source" option anywhere
    Had to downgrade from the beta 6.5 for a similar error

Should not have to go to the download page to update

• Gringo
    Gringo
    Community Member

The updater starts. Under the Source in the updater I have item 1, item 2 and item 3, but ALL three are grayed out.

I downloaded the update from the download site, but now I will not know when their is another update unless I go to the site.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@ashleyk: Ah, excellent! Thanks for letting me know that clearing the OCSP cache on your machine worked. Fortunately it should be a very long time before GlobalSign needs to make changes to their root certificate again. Cheers! :)

• Pilar
    Pilar
    1Password Alumni

Hi @terryzx

I'm sorry to hear about the trouble that you're having with 1Password. The latest Beta build is 6.5.BETA-24, released last night, and the latest stable is 6.3.5. I'm very sorry but I'm not completely sure which of them you have. If you go to 1Password Preferences and then Updates, is "Enable beta builds enabled"? What do you see when you click on "Search for updates"?

I hope to hear back from you soon so we can get this sorted out :chuffed:

• terryzx
    terryzx
    Community Member
    edited October 2016

I was using 6.5.BETA-23 and that constantly gave me can't update errors and so I went to 6.3.5 (635001) and now it still will not update at all an keeps giving error:

The operation couldn’t be completed. (NSURLErrorDomain error -1012.)

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    edited October 2016

Hi @terryzx,

I've merged your posts and @Pilar's reply into this related discussion; hope that's okay. :)

Since you're using macOS 10.12 Sierra, please try running this command that ashleyk posted, then see if 1Password is able to successfully check for updates:

sqlite3 ~/Library/Keychains/*/ocspcache.sqlite3 'DELETE FROM ocsp;'

It's the one suggested in this article that brenty linked to:

Delete CRL and OCSP Cache

Let us know if you're still having trouble with update checking after that and we'll investigate further. Thanks!

• terryzx
    terryzx
    Community Member

AMAZING....24 versions since last updated but FINALLY that command got it working!!!

THANX MUCH

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Excellent! Thanks for the update. On behalf of sjk, you are most welcome! I'm glad to hear that all is well now. It sounds like you should be all set, but don't hesitate to reach out if we can be of further assistance. Have a great weekend! :)

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @terryzx,

I noticed you also posted about this problem in another thread, so I merged that message into this thread where it looks like you've been able to solve the problem when checking for an update. I'm happy to hear it's working correctly now! We're here for you if you need anything else. :)

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Gringo,

I'm sorry it took us longer than usual to get back to you about this! I merged your discussion with this other thread about the same problem.

You can read some of the above comments if you want, but in short, GlobalSign had the Certificate Revocation Issue last week, and that caused an error when checking for updates on computers where the outdated certificate information was still stored in the local cache.

It should be resolved now, but if you still get that error message when 1Password checks for updates, there's a command you can copy/paste into Terminal which will fix it. You can find that here:

Delete CRL and OCSP Cache

Please let us know if you have any questions about that. Cheers! :)

• Gringo
    Gringo
    Community Member

Thank for directing me too and merging me into this conversation. This information fixed my problem.

This discussion has been closed.