Possible solution for 6-digit authorization on 6.3.4

ghoetker
ghoetker
Community Member

Like multiple folks, I was having trouble with the new 6-digit authorization. Frankly, it seems less well worked out and certainly much less well documented that I've come to expect from the generally pretty awesome 1Password. Here are some steps I stumbled though that got it working for me. Perhaps they will help some others.

1. One totally undocumented factor is that 1P Mini is what will show the number you are supposed to match and the authorization number. If you happen to have Bartender (or possibly any other menubar management program), the 1P mini popup will NOT trigger making 1P Mini visible, so you'll never see it.

2. So, when I told Bartender to stop managing 1P Mini, I actually got the popup, but it wouldn't register any mouseclicks, so I would authenticate. I went to preferences in 1P, turned off 1P Mini, quit, restarted 1P and reactivated 1P Mini in the preferences.

3. Now 1P Mini showed a number and was responsive to mouse clicks, but it was not the same number displayed by Safari.

4. Reloaded the Safari page showing the number, which gave me matching numbers in Safari and 1P Mini. Hit authenticate and all was good.

The biggest block here appears to have been Bartender, combined with unclear documentation. Best of luck to all.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @ghoetker,

Thank you very much for taking the time to post your tips to help others with this! I think that will definitely help others who might be running into a similar problem.

Also, I'm sorry the new authentication process didn't go as smoothly for you as we had expected! Indeed, it seems like Bartender is a common factor for the majority of customers who have had trouble with this. We have Bartender users here who didn't experience the same problems during testing, so I'm not sure why it's happening for customers like yourself. I apologize for the inconvenience! I'm also happy to hear you were able to get things sorted out.

Thanks again, and if you run into other issues or have any questions, please be sure to let us know. Cheers! :)

• yiorgara
    yiorgara
    Community Member

Chome authenticated fine for me, but Safari didn't. Bartender was the issue for me too. As soon as I went and clicked on 1P Mini the auth dialog came up... thanks for saving me further frustration!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@yiorgara: Glad that helped! I'll also say that if you're intent on not seeing the 1Password icon in your menu bar, it's probably best to disable that feature in 1Password itself (Preferences > General). Then the authentication code will be displayed in a separate window. We only rely on the menu bar icon if it's enabled. Cheers! :)

• yiorgara
    yiorgara
    Community Member

nice tip. I almost never click the menu bar icon... usually it's click the 1p icon in the browser or else open spotlight, type 1p and bang it's open. Thanks - turned off now!

• Pilar
    Pilar
    1Password Alumni

Hi @yiorgara

On behalf of Brenty, you're welcome! Please let us know if 1Password behaves nicely from now on :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.