Avoid ambiguous characters includes ambiguous character

walts
walts
Community Member

When generating a password, and having "Avoid ambiguous characters" checked, I still occasionally get a lower case "o" in the password. I'm using version 6.3.4, though I've been noticing this issue now for at least the last few versions. I kept thinking that it was me and I was missing something. And it could very well be user error :) ... but I figure I'd bring it up just in case.

1Password Version: 6.3.4
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.12
Sync Type: Dropbox

amb.png 37.1K

Comments

• Pilar
    Pilar
    1Password Alumni
    edited October 2016

Hi @walts

Thank you for taking some time to write to us. The behavior that you're experiencing with the generator is actually the expected one :chuffed: While we do want to delete ambiguous characters, it's important to keep the set of possible ones as big as we can. We have decided that while O and 0 are the same hight and can be ambiguous or easy to confuse, o is shorter and looks different enough and it's better to keep it on the pool! We need to find the best balance possible between security and practicality and we believe in this case, admitting lower case o is the approach :chuffed:

Please let us know what you think about this!

• walts
    walts
    Community Member

That works for me. Thanks for the insight!

• Pilar
    Pilar
    1Password Alumni

Hi @walts

You're very welcome! :chuffed: If you have any other questions or there's anything else that you'd like to know about 1Password, we're always here for you!

This discussion has been closed.