1Password Sync Problem, Update Preferences

hellopascal
hellopascal
Community Member

For a couple of days I get the following error message, constantly. Looks like 1Password has stopped syncing over dropbox and every time it's trying to (about every two hours), I get the mentioned error message.

What to do?

1Password Version: 6.3.3.
Extension Version: 4.6.1.90
OS Version: OS X 10.11.6
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• Pilar
    Pilar
    1Password Alumni

Hi @hellopascal

I'm sorry to hear that you're having some trouble with 1Password. Could you please go through this troubleshooting guide and let us know what you find out? Even if this guide does not solve your issue, it will give us some important insight so we can go further :chuffed:

Please let us know what you find out!

• hellopascal
    hellopascal
    Community Member

Thanks @Pilar,

I went through that guide and the only thing that's not standard is that I'm not on macOS Sierra yet. But because I'm on a work Mac, I can't do anything about that.

• Pilar
    Pilar
    1Password Alumni

Hi @hellopascal

Thank you for checking this up for us :chuffed: Could you please tell us the details about the other devices that you are syncing with? Could you please do some testing and create a new item on each device and see if it propagates to the rest? Could you also please create some file and save it to Dropbox and see if that one syncs successfully with all your devices? Can you please test this on every device?

I hope to hear back from you with what you've found out so we can get to the bottom of this :chuffed:

• CypherUK
    CypherUK
    Community Member
    edited October 2016

I'm also having the same issue as @hellopascal

I have 3 Mac's all still on Mavericks (edit sorry I meant El Capitan) and no longer able to be upgraded to Sierra. I also sync to an iPhone 6s and an iPad Air 2 which are both up to date on iOS 10. I also sync via dropbox.

On my iMac I have had the issue @hellopascal mentioned a couple of times now and each time when I have gone into preferences the dropbox sync has been disabled. I only have one Primary vault, but when I get the error and check in preferences - sync is shows sync with "none". When I select dropbox it does sync ok and I get the option to merge vaults.

All of my devices appear to be in sync and all say I have 619 items. I also checked this last time I had the error and all appeared ok.

I have now had this error showing this problem with the sync a couple of times and I get the option to ignore or fix. Each time I have fixed it by re-enabling sync and linking it to my dropbox 1password keychain. However if 1 password thinks the dropbox sync is disabled why does it then give me the error message, or is it seeing a problem with the sync and then disabling it at that point ?

I have just re-installed the latest version of dropbox, but the version number still matches what it was before, so I must have already been running the latest one (Dropbox v12.4.22)

I think my iMac is the only one which has had this problem, my Mac Mini (server) and Mac Book Pro haven't even though they are all running the same 1 Password and Dropbox.

Thanks

Phil

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited October 2016

@CypherUK: From your description, it's likely a permissions issue. All 1Password is doing is writing files to disk, and if it cannot for some reason, it will warn you. Please download the 1Password Troubleshooting Tool and repair permissions. That may solve it right off the bat.

The other likely culprit is a problem with the disk itself, so I'd encourage you to reboot into Recovery Mode and repair the drive using Disk Utility — and backup your data regularly.

But if you encounter this again, please generate a diagnostic report immediately (using the same tool) and send it to support+forums@agilebits.com so we can look at the logs to determine exactly what is happening:

Sending Diagnostics Reports (Mac)

Just be sure to include a link to this forum thread and your username in the email so we can 'connect the dots'. Also, knowing your timezone and the date/time of the incident will help us find it in the logs. We will get to the bottom of this! :)

• hellopascal
    hellopascal
    Community Member

@Pilar: My other device is an Android with version 7.0 and security path level October 5, 2016. Oh and maybe I should mention that on this Android I'm a beta tester and am using version 6.5.BETA-1.

Could you please do some testing and create a new item on each device and see if it propagates to the rest?

A secure note propagates in both directions

Could you also please create some file and save it to Dropbox and see if that one syncs successfully with all your devices?

yes, in both directions.

@CypherUK Actually, I'm not having the same problem. When I get the notification and then go to the settings, my Dropbox Sync is not switched off.

@brenty: I've downloaded the Troubleshooting tool, repaired Permissions and attributes and reset the launch services, but the problem persists. Right after the appearance of yet another notification I generated a report and will send it out to you guys.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@hellopascal: Ah. In that case, please send diagnostics for each device, and post the Support ID(s) here so we can put everything together. Thanks in advance!

• hellopascal
    hellopascal
    Community Member

@brenty and others: Thanks to your e-mail support, I resolved the problem. For that I disabled sync on both devices and deleted the keychain in my dropbox. Afterwards I restarted everything and set up sync.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Excellent! Thanks for the update. On behalf of the rest of the team, you are most welcome! I'm glad to hear that all is well. It sounds like you should be all set, but don't hesitate to reach out if we can be of further assistance. Cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.