1Password 6.3.4 causing Safari 10.0 to crash.

pnplibi
pnplibi
Community Member

After install of the latest 1Password, Safari crashes about once every 15-20 minutes. No pattern seen with the type of web page loading but when I click on a link, Safari crashes. When I open it up, all my tabs go back to where they were just before the last click.

1Password Version: 6.3.4
Extension Version: 4.6.1
OS Version: osx 10.111.6
Sync Type: dropbox
Referrer: forum-search:Safari crashing

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @pnplibi,

I'm sorry to hear Safari has started crashing after the 6.3.4 update!

I don't know why that would be happening, but you can try uninstalling the 1Password extension from Safari to see if that makes a difference:

• Open Safari and go to Safari > Preferences in the menubar.
    • Click the Extensions tab, then click Uninstall for the 1Password extension.

Once you've uninstalled the extension, try using Safari for a little while to see if it crashes again. If it keeps crashing, it sounds like the problem is unrelated to 1Password. In that case, try restarting your Mac to see if that helps.

After determining whether or not Safari still crashes without the 1Password extension, you can reinstall the extension.

Please let us know how it goes, and if it's still a problem, we'll continue from there. Thanks!

• jmassengale
    jmassengale
    Community Member

@Dreew_AG: This is exactly why 1Password should not be making unauthorized updates. Since 1Password updated itself, I have had multiple instances of Mail crashing, Safari crashing, and shutdown not happening. "I don't know why" is not an acceptable answer to an update you have forced on us.

PLEASE 1) figure out what the problem is and fix it, and 2) stop this new policy of forced updates. I have been using 1Password for years, and I have literally hundreds of Passwords stored. Even since the update that coincided with a graphic redesign (I don't know the number), I have been very happy with 1Password—one reason for that is that you reduced the frequency of updates. I do not want to switch to a new program, but I want a new program more than I want a program that thinks it's okay to operate in a way that demonstrably causes problems.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @jmassengale,

I'm sorry you're also experiencing some crashes after the latest 1Password update! We'll be happy to help you solve this one way or another.

First, can you please clarify something you mentioned:

This is exactly why 1Password should not be making unauthorized updates.

1Password doesn't automatically update itself. However, if you're using the Mac App Store version of the main 1Password app, it's possible you've enabled an option to have the Mac App Store automatically install updates for apps you purchased there. That's not something we can control as it's a feature of the Mac App Store, and it applies to all Mac App Store apps you've installed. But you can disable that option from System Preferences > App Store (un-check the "Install app updates" setting).

The AgileBits Store version of the main 1Password app will never automatically install an update without your permission. There's a setting to have it automatically check to see if updates are available, but it won't install those updates without asking if you want to.

Your web browser(s) might be automatically updating the 1Password browser extension, but again, we have no control over that - it's a feature of the web browser, and it applies to all extensions installed in that browser. It's usually enabled by default, but you can check the extension settings in the browser to see if there's an option to disable the automatic updates.

Now, to get to the actual problem you described:

I have had multiple instances of Mail crashing, Safari crashing, and shutdown not happening. "I don't know why" is not an acceptable answer to an update you have forced on us.

I could tell you I know exactly why those apps are crashing, but that would be a lie. ;) But all jokes aside, I never say "I don't know why" without also asking questions, giving suggestions, or doing something else in order to help.

There's no connection between 1Password and the Mail app, but if you have the 1Password extension installed in Safari, you can try uninstalling that extension to see if it makes a difference:

• Open Safari and go to Safari > Preferences in the menubar.
    • Click the Extensions tab, then click Uninstall for the 1Password extension.

Does Safari still crash if the 1Password extension is no longer installed? If so, something else might be causing that. However, it might help to simply reboot your Mac. You mentioned a problem trying to shut down your Mac, but hopefully you're able to do that one way or another (if not, please let us know some more details about what happens when you try).

If you want to, you can even try deleting the 1Password app from your Mac to see if Mail and Safari still crash. Just drag the 1Password app from the Applications folder to the Trash (do not use any app cleaning tools when you do that). Your data is stored in a different location, so you won't lose anything by deleting just the app file itself. After deleting it, see if Mail and Safari work as expected or if they crash.

After determining whether or not Mail and Safari crash after you've removed 1Password, you can reinstall it. If you use the Mac App Store version of 1Password, you'll need to reinstall that from the Purchased section of the Mac App Store. If you use the AgileBits Store version, you can download the installer from our download site. You can reinstall the extension from here: https://agilebits.com/onepassword/extensions

Let us know how it all goes and if you have questions about any of that. Thanks! :)

This discussion has been closed.