6.3.4 Update and login screen freeze

George9000
George9000
Community Member

The automatic 6.3.4 update caused my MacBook Pro to freeze (OSX 10.11.6). After walking away and coming back to my lock screen, I saw a spinning ball and was unable to log in. I had to force a shutdown; on restarting and logging in, I was presented with the 1 Password notification to verify the browser. At first, I wasn't sure this was legit (? malware) but ultimately went ahead and verified. This is the first time that I've had a login/lock screen freeze. The only explanation here was the new 1Password update needing the verification update.

I wish 1) you had communicated that this intrusive update was coming and 2) had the user choose to use the new procedure rather than pushing it on them. In any case, behavior that causes a system freeze is unacceptable.

I would like a preference option to choose updates manually in the future.

I've been a long time 1Password user and generally satisfied. But this behavior reminds me of why I left Windows.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Pilar
    Pilar
    1Password Alumni

Hi @George9000

I'm very sorry to hear that you had some trouble with the new update. We have heard some scenarios where the authentication didn't work as expected, but it seems like you had some trouble installing the update itself, right? I wonder what might have caused that. You can for sure disable automatic updates if you go to Preferences in 1Password and then uncheck "Automatically check for updates". This way you can check for updates when you think is a better time for you :chuffed:

On the other hand, whenever you get an update you can chose whether to apply it then or later:

You can pick ignore if the time isn't right. When you choose to Update, before downloading and installing the update you can read the details of what's being implemented, and how the changes will affect 1Password. I'd recommend you to take a look at them to get a better idea of what might happen with each update :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.