Exporting from Dashlane - setup of spreadsheet, all data imported as heading

gusseting
gusseting
Community Member

I'm importing into the latest version of 1password version 6.6.3 from Dashlane. I've followed the instructions on this forum post:
https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/comment/139649/#Comment_139649
which gave me an import, but all the data has been imported into the heading, like so:
amazon.com,"amazon.com","fakeemail@gmail.com","i4nIF2a",""

Could you please provide step by step instructions which have been updated for 2016?
Could you please show what the spreadsheet should look like, so that's its easy to follow and understand for people who do this hopefully once and once only in their lifetime?
I'd really love to switch to 1password, but the difficulty of export and the time taken combing through forums and trying things whilst not being able to use a password manager is taking its toll.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator

@gusseting ,

For 1Password for Mac, you must place each category of data into a separate spreadsheet.

Let's address Logins. The columns must be in the following order:

title  URL  username   password   notes

Additional fields may follow, and those will be imported as custom field 1, custom field 2, etc.

It is important that your data shows up in a spreadsheet in five (or more) columns (not all crammed into a single cell in the row).

Your data above looks correct, however, it only shows a single row of the data, and subsequent (malformed) rows may be affecting the import. Or you may not have selected the Login category when you did the import.

1Password for Mac can also import the categories of Credit Card, Software Licenses and Secure Notes. Use this guide to provide you the field order.

• gusseting
    gusseting
    Community Member

@mrc so that I'm sure of what I'm getting into here - there's no option to export/import as columns. My understanding is that after exporting into a spreadsheet, I then need to do over 700 copy paste actions into columns in order to get the data where 1 password requires it. Does that sound correct to you, or is there another faster, simpler way?

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    edited October 2016

@gusseting ,

1Password for Mac does not have column mapping.

Once you have your data correctly layed-out in the spreadsheet, you can just import the single-category CSV.

Rearranging column data in a spreadsheet is trivlal - you either just drag the columns to the new positions (smart spreadsheets software), or worst case, insert a new column and copy/paste the column data, and delete the old unused column (dumb spreadsheet software).

I can't recall if DashLane presents the data row-grouped by category, or if it is all intermixed. I do recall the export is insufficient for automation purposes, and requires manual intervention.

If the categories are intermixed, I would duplicate the export spreadsheet 4 times, one each for Login, Credit Card, Software License, and Secure Notes. Edit each, and delete the rows that are inappropriate for the category you are working with. You should be able to identify these pretty quickly, since you know your own data.

You could alternatively use the csv converter in the converter suite, which allows you to instead of column order to use a header row (with specific labels). Additionally, the converter better handles custom field names (you can choose your own). See the README.pdf for up to date instructions, and use the 1.09 version in Testing Bits mentioned in the first post of the thread. Because the Dashlane export is insufficient, I am unable to write a direct converter for its export.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @gusseting,

I hope MrC's information was helpful for you! As you may already know, he's an expert with this stuff, so you're in good hands. Please let us know how it all goes, thanks! :)

This discussion has been closed.