How do I access passwords on the go (without my computer or phone) or sync to Dropbox?

rtucci
rtucci
Community Member

Hi there!

A friend told me about 1Password and so I went ahead and subscribed tonight. I would like the ability to access my passwords if I am away from my computer or phone and I am wondering how I might go about setting this up?

My friend says that his passwords are synced with Dropbox. But after looking at this article (https://support.1password.com/sync-with-dropbox/), I'm afraid I do not see a "Sync" option in Preferences.

I also came across this article (https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/70268/have-1password-account-and-sync-with-dropbox), but I'm afraid I wasn't able to follow Perl's steps to do this.

If there is not an easier way to view my passwords when I don't have access to my own devices, would you be able to walk me through the steps to sync with dropbox (assuming I can access my passwords via Dropbox like my friend is able to)?

Thanks!

1Password Version: 6.3.5
Extension Version: 4.6.1
OS Version: 10.11.6
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:How to access passwords on the go (without my computer or phone)?

Comments

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator

In the non-subscription version, users had to set up syncing themselves through Dropbox or iCloud, and so there was a "Sync" option.

In the subscription version, syncing is automatic (and goes through AgileBits servers), so there is no need for a "Sync" option.

Passwords can be viewed on any computer or smartphone/tablet using a web browser. There are two things to consider if you want to do this. First, you must have access to your Account Key as well as the master password. You can (and should) be able to remember your master password. The account key is not something you are likely to remember, so you should keep an easily accessible copy of it. There's no danger as both this key and the master password are needed to access your passwords. The other issue is that third-party devices are essentially insecure, you don't know if a keylogger is installed that will steal your key and password, so be extremely cautious about what device to use.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @rtucci,

Danco's answer is spot-on! I hope that was helpful for you. In short: If you signed up for an account on 1Password.com, you already have the ability to access your 1Password data from a web browser. You can do that by signing in to your account on 1Password.com.

You can find some more information about 1Password.com here: Get to know 1Password.com

Sorry for any confusion about the sync settings! Hopefully you're all set, but please let us know if you have more questions about any of that. We're here for you! :)

This discussion has been closed.