How do I switch from personal to family license/vault?

Options
switters
switters
Community Member

I have a personal 1P license and vault. I want to start sharing a vault with my wife, who has not yet installed 1Password. What is the best way to do this?

1Password Version: 6.3.5
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.12
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• Hi @switters! The best way would be to use 1Password Families, which gives your wife access to all the 1Password apps without purchasing a license, and makes it easy to share vaults between both of you. The rest of your family can use 1Password with a family account as well. 1Password Families is a subscription, but it would be more affordable than purchasing a desktop license and the mobile apps separately for your wife, so I'd recommend it. Learn more about family accounts and sign up for one. Then to start sharing, we have a nice guide to get things going:

Share passwords and other items with your whole family

As an existing user, you'll need to move your current 1Password data over to your account to start sharing it with your wife. Once you create an account, moving the data means signing in to your existing devices, moving your current items to the vaults in your account, and then removing your old vaults so you can just use the account going forward. Here are some more details:

Move your existing 1Password data to a 1Password account

Hope that helps! Let us know how things go. :)

• switters
    switters
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you. I signed up for Families. I also use 1P with 2 different work teams, and I have a personal license.

What this means is that I now essentially have four different personal vaults: my personal license, the "personal" vault associated with 1P Families, and the "personal" vaults associated with each work team.

Is there a "best practice" for which personal vault I should rely on or use for most of my passwords in this situation? Out of habit, and since I signed up for 1P personal long before the team or family accounts, I'm using that for most of my personal passwords, and not using the "personal" vaults in the Family or Team accounts.

• @switters No problem! I would recommend using three personal vaults, since your family account includes one. It's a good idea to use that as the default one because a family account is more personal in general. :) The guide to moving your existing data over (linked at the bottom of my first comment) will help you move things to your family vault. You should remove your old vault as well and start using the account as the default for things. The first account added will be made the default, so you may want to remove some accounts and reorder things before removing the old Primary vault. Hope that helps.

• switters
    switters
    Community Member
    Options

Okay, just to clarify you're suggesting the following:

• Migrate data from my personal vault (single license) to the "personal" vault in my Family account
    • Start using the "personal" vault in my Family account as the primary vault
    • Remove the primary (single license) personal vault
  • @switters That's correct. I want to clarify one thing: Your family account won't automatically be used as the primary one in the app if you have another account in that app. In 1Password for Mac, you can check what accounts are added by unlocking the app and choosing 1Password -> Preferences from the menu bar, then clicking Accounts.

If you have a few accounts in the left pane, remove all but your family one. Then, switch to your old Primary vault, move the items to your Personal family vault, and while you're still in the Primary vault, choose 1Password -> Delete Vault from the menu bar. It has to be empty for you to do this. Now sign back in to your team account if you signed out and you're all set. The family account's Master Password will be the one you use to unlock the app, and your Personal vault there is where items will be saved by default in the future. You can change this in your All Vaults settings.

I'm not sure what other devices you're using, but I can help you do this on those as well. Let me know what you have and we'll go from there. :)

• switters
    switters
    Community Member
    Options

You said

"If you have a few accounts in the left pane, remove all but your family one. Then, switch to your old Primary vault, move the items to your Personal family vault, and while you're still in the Primary vault, choose 1Password -> Delete Vault from the menu bar."

How can I switch to my Primary vault if I have removed it? Did you mean to say remove all accounts but my family one and my old Primary vault (individual license)? If not, I don't understand your instructions.

I am using 1P on Mac and iOS.

• Ben
    Options

Hi @switters,

The "Primary" vault is a local / standalone vault, and not part of any account. Removing your 1Password accounts from that screen will not remove the Primary vault.

You won't see the Primary vault listed on the 1Password -> Preferences -> Accounts menu.

Does that help? Please let us know.

Ben

• switters
    switters
    Community Member
    edited November 2016
    Options

Hello,

I followed the instructions you provided, thank you.

Unfortunately, I somehow ended up with duplicates of every item (logins, secure notes, etc.). This is not good. Is there some way to eliminate duplicates automatically, without having to go through and delete them manually?

Also, I would like to set 1Password browser extension so that it only shows passwords from my Family account, rather than all three accounts (Family, as well as my two company accounts). How do I do that?

Thanks.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@switters: It sounds like you copied the items instead of moving them, so that, when viewing All Vaults in 1Password for Mac, you're seeing two of each item: one in the original vault, and one in the new vault. Is that correct? It should be easy to confirm this by switching to only the new vault. Is there only one of each there? Let me now what you find!

The second question is related in a way. If you go into 1Password Preferences > All Vaults, you can "hide" the company vaults if you don't want them displayed all the time. You can still switch to them individually to access the items, but they will not show up otherwise. I hope this helps! :)

This discussion has been closed.