More strict subdomain matching

Options

Hi, I'm not sure if there's an recent thread about that, but I didn't find one so I decided to create one.
I want to suggest that as a preferences, the user can decide to have a more strict/full match subdomain checker.

Example:
I created a login for test2.z33.ch
The login shouldn't appear if I browse on the page test1.z33.ch, test.z33.ch, page.z33.ch neither s.test2.z33.ch.
It should only appear if the domains match exactly test2.z33.ch.

Is this something you wann add?

1Password Version: 6.5
Extension Version: -
OS Version: iOS 10.x.x
Sync Type: iCloud
Referrer: forum-search:subdomains

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @heubergen,

I'm wondering, do you have the following option currently enabled or disabled? The option in question is Allow filing on pages that closely match saved websites and the option is in the Browsers tab of 1Password's preferences.

The behaviour is a little odd to explain but say you have three or more Login items for a variety of subdomains on the domain z33.ch. We will only show the exact matches and hide everything else behind the Show X more items menu option. If you only have two options we'll display both rather than hide just one. In a similar manner if you ask 1Password to fill the current page and you have a bunch of similar matches but only one exact match it uses that just as if you only had a single Login item for this domain at all.

If you have that option enabled though it treats all Login items for the domain equally regardless if they have a subdomain or not.

Is this what you wanted or are you looking for something else?

• heubergen
    heubergen
    Community Member
    Options

I'm not sure if this was clea and Im sorry if I didn't mention it clearly but I'm using the iOS Version and I don't see any option in the settings there.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Greetings @heubergen,

Thank you for replying because I did miss that and you've made me think as I don't know the answer like I do with the Mac. I shall look at what we do in 1Password for iOS and if it's different, and by your account it is, I shall write it up so we can try and get some consistency here. Sorry for missing that key piece of information from your original post.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @heubergen,

That's the improvement written up. I think what would seem sensible is what we do in 1Password for Mac if the option I mentioned is disabled, hide all partial matches (but remain accessible) if there is a strict match to prefer and maybe a setting too. At the very least though long lists of matches that don't even sort by the Fully Qualified Domain Name (FQDN) first seems less than optimal. Thank you for raising this.

ref: OPI-3776

• heubergen
    heubergen
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @littlebobbytables As I see that you add a ref so I think that you open a ticket in the internal system? So we can close this thread here? I'm sorry if I missunderstand something here.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @heubergen,

The ref is to our internal bug/feature tracker so that if another member of AgileBits needs the link they can find the request I filed. We don't close threads in the forums though without very good reason. Others may jump in to say why this is really needed and understanding the level of user desire is handy. Others or yourself may have more you want say and the list goes on. So we really only close threads if it's a really simple question that somebody has asked and we've answered completely in one post or our forum software has closed the thread because nobody has added to it in months and months. So if you have more thoughts please do post and if others jump on to say that would be amazing that's useful for us to know too :smile:

The key part is we do have a request filed based on what you've asked once I properly understood :smile:

• ajenkins
    ajenkins
    Community Member
    Options

This isn't working for me. The box in my preferences is unchecked, but it's matching on different subdomains.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @ajenkins,

How many Login items do you have that match the registered domain and how many Login items do you have that match this specific subdomain?

• ajenkins
    ajenkins
    Community Member
    Options

Never mind, it's working now. I checked the box, then unchecked the box, and it seems to have fixed it.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hello @ajenkins,

Please let us know if you experience anything else odd. You shouldn't need to toggle the setting it get it working so please do say if any other weirdness makes itself present.

This discussion has been closed.