To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

Web app crashes randomly when moving items

Backspaze
Backspaze
Community Member
edited October 2016 in Memberships

In the web app it seems that it's only possible to move one item at a time between vaults. When moving several items in a row the web app sometimes crashes and I have to reload the page and login again. The last time it crashed was after moving somewhere around eight items. When it crashes, the message in the image below remains on screen and the spinning symbol just keeps spinning until I reach my time limit for the session and get logged out.

When I've logged in again I can see that the item that I was moving when the app crashed is duplicated and each of the vaults I was trying to move the item between has a copy of the item.

1Password Version: 6.1.272d
Extension Version: 4.6.1
OS Version: Windows 10
Sync Type: Families

Comments

• MaxSiegel
    MaxSiegel
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Backspaze, thank you so much for taking the time to tell us about this issue. Being able to move and edit multiple items is something that's on our developers' radar, and which we are planning to add in the future. I've reported your findings with them. Thank you again, @Backspaze! :)

ref: B5-1911

• @Backspaze Thanks for reporting the issue with it crashing. Could you try signing in with a different browser and moving items there? Let me know if it makes a difference.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Backspaze: Sorry to pile on here, but I was curious and trying to reproduce this too, to no avail. Can you tell me which browser version you're running? I wonder if you're stuck on an old one. I've been seeing this a lot lately for some reason. Thanks in advance! :)

• Backspaze
    Backspaze
    Community Member

My default browser is Firefox and I always keep it up to date, so that's not the issue in this case.

I have several objects left to move before I'm done so I will try both Edge and Chrome and get back to you with the result.

@brenty

I've been seeing this a lot lately...

Any specific browser that stands out in those cases?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited October 2016

I've been seeing this a lot lately...

Any specific browser that stands out in those cases?

@Backspaze: Yep. Firefox. :lol:

Which version are you using? Do you have e10s enabled? And definitely let me know if you encounter the same issue in any other browsers. We'll get to the bottom of this! :)

• Backspaze
    Backspaze
    Community Member
    edited October 2016

@brenty

Yep. Firefox. :lol:

Of course!

I'm at 49.0.2 and according to this site I don't have e10s enabled although I'm a bit confused about this statement:

Firefox Release
    If you're using Firefox 48 or later, you might be using e10s already. Check about:support and look for a number higher than 0 in the >"Multiprocess Windows" entry. If you would like to opt-in, open about:config and toggle browser.tabs.remote.autostart to true.

In about:support I see the following:

The text inside the parenthesis says that it has been deactivated by an addon.

and in about:config:

I guess the 0 in 0/1 represents browser.tabs.remote.autostart which is set to false and the 1 represents browser.tabs.remote.autostart.2 which is set to true. Why I have two of them I have no idea, a quick search just gave a long list of issues with it. Will have to check up on that more thoroughly another time.

Not that it has anything to do with the web app but this site brought me to this which says that the 1PW addon is not compatible with e10s:

In any case...what is the preferred state for e10s when it comes to the 1PW web app, enabled or disabled?

Oh, almost forgot. This bug happened when I had two Firefox windows open side by side and using the web app in both of them albeit in different valves. I'm not sure if it has happened when I've been working in just one window.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

I'm at 49.0.2 and according to this site I don't have e10s enabled although I'm a bit confused about this statement:

@Backspaze: Thanks for getting bak to me! Fair enough: e10s (and other specialized Firefox options) can be pretty confusing! :lol:

In any case...what is the preferred state for e10s when it comes to the 1PW web app, enabled or disabled?

The 1Password extension is not e10s compatible. Some folks have reported issues with the extension when e10s is enabled, but others haven't. It's something we're working toward addressing more directly in the future, but that's a ways off.

Getting back to your (non-extension) issue though, I'm not aware of e10s causing problems with the 1Password.com web app, but I wanted to at least rule it out since it seems to be a rather popular experimental feature these days. :chuffed:

This bug happened when I had two Firefox windows open side by side and using the web app in both of them albeit in different valves. I'm not sure if it has happened when I've been working in just one window.

Just to clarify, were you logged into the same 1Password Account in two separate windows/tabs? And then in one of them you attempted to Move multiple items to another vault? I'm also wondering if "valves" was a typo, since I don't quite understand what you're referring to there. Thanks again for your patience and willingness to work with us on this! :)

• Backspaze
    Backspaze
    Community Member

@brenty

Just to clarify, were you logged into the same 1Password Account in two separate windows/tabs? And then in one of them you attempted to Move multiple items to another vault? I'm also wondering if "valves" was a typo, since I don't quite understand what you're referring to there. Thanks again for your patience and willingness to work with us on this! :)

Correct, I was logged in in to the same account in both windows, and yes it's a typo, should be vaults. I had the windows side by side with the two vaults I was moving items between, just to see that they popped up in the other vault.

I haven't got around to testing in other browsers yet, will get back to you on that one.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Backspaze: Of course! "Vaults"! I was thinking "tabs" for some reason. I guess I have browsers on the brain... :dizzy:

I'm just not able to reproduce this, in Firefox or any other browser, on macOS or Windows, with the same or different vaults open in separate windows. I thought you were saying that this happens when you try to move multiple items at once, but I must be misunderstanding because it is not possible to select more than one item in the web app. So if it's still happening to you only in Firefox, I suspect Firefox itself may simply be damaged, and that reinstalling might help.

And as far as transferring large amounts of data between vault, it may be best to do this in the 1Password Windows app instead, even though it isn't yet possible to "Move". You'll need to select them, copy them, and then send them to the Trash, but this is still much faster than doing this for each individual item — unless you're sorting through them as you go. Let me know what you think!

• Backspaze
    Backspaze
    Community Member

@brenty Vault is called valv in Swedish so my brain decided to create some "Swenglish" when I added that last part.

Yes I've been thinking about making a completely fresh install of Firefox for a while, so this issue might just make me get around to actually doing it.

I'm well aware that it would be much faster to move the objects by doing the copy->trash process in the Windows app, but I could write a short essay about the hows and why I'm doing it this way. Let's just say that my KeePass export/import to 1Password didn't go exactly as planned, and now that I've finally decided to leave KP behind and go with 1PW I'm cleaning up the mess and getting everything all nice and tidy to satisfy my organizational "OCD".

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Vault is called valv in Swedish so my brain decided to create some "Swenglish" when I added that last part.

@Backspaze: Ahh, that's pretty cool, actually! :lol: :+1:

Yes I've been thinking about making a completely fresh install of Firefox for a while, so this issue might just make me get around to actually doing it.

Just creating a new separate profile is probably much less work, and may help. But yeah, there's something to be said for starting over fresh too!

I'm well aware that it would be much faster to move the objects by doing the copy->trash process in the Windows app, but I could write a short essay about the hows and why I'm doing it this way. Let's just say that my KeePass export/import to 1Password didn't go exactly as planned, and now that I've finally decided to leave KP behind and go with 1PW I'm cleaning up the mess and getting everything all nice and tidy to satisfy my organizational "OCD".

Ah, I hear you. I'm sorry to hear that the migration didn't go smoothly, and I can definitely relate to the urge to clean everything up. Unfortunately I'm adding data at a higher rate than I'm organizing it, and I haven't had the time to really dig in to that project. So I'll have to live vicariously through you for now. Excelsior! :sunglasses:

• Backspaze
    Backspaze
    Community Member

Just chiming in here to tell you that I've now made completely fresh install of Firefox and haven't experienced this issue since that.

• That's very good to hear @Backspaze! If it does come up again, or you have some questions for us down the road, we're here to help. :)

This discussion has been closed.