Backup

mclarkmd
mclarkmd
Community Member
edited November 2016 in Mac

So, I have all my passwords (in particular to financial and insurance accounts for this discussion) in my 1Password on my Mac. So, Congress has now subpoena'ed my computer and as I rush to delete my 33,000 personal eMails before they can see them the FBI shows up and confiscates all my devices and block my access to my Dropbox account where my "key" resides. I need to take a vacation in Mexico while they look over these devices but I need some money and have no access to my devices or my "key". If I had thought of this possibility earlier I should have ....

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• jpgoldberg
    jpgoldberg
    1Password Alumni
    edited November 2016

Backups are essential, but in a situation where you lose all access to all of your backups there is little that can be done.

For someone who faces the kind of threat you describe, it may be useful to keep a backup in location that is separate and accessible to you while being sought by state actors. People who face unusual threats may need to engage in unusual planning.

As an aside there may be little point in deleting your 33,000 emails if the FBI will just happen to end up searching the machines once used by people you correspond with.

This discussion has been closed.