goughlaw
goughlaw
Community Member

I c

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:My laptop no longer accepts my master password. It is 37 characters long. My iphone will accept it

Comments

• goughlaw
    goughlaw
    Community Member

I created a master password on my laptop and opened my account with it. But now I can only input part of it (30 of the 37 characters on my laptop, but my iphone will accept the whole password. Is there a limit to how long the password can be?

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator

No limit (welly, probably there is but it's beyond any number one would use). But there is a limit to the number of dots that show. After that, further characters do get entered but there is no visual display of them as dots.

Have you actually checked what happens if you enter your password? Because of the display issue it's easy to think that further characters aren't being entered although in fact they are.

• Hi @goughlaw! As danco mentioned, you can have as long of a Master Password as you'd like. When you continue typing past about 18 characters in 1Password for Mac, it may not look like things are changing because •••• take up the entire width of the text field, but you can keep typing your entire Master Password. Please try typing the whole thing despite what the app shows and let us know how it goes. :)

• goughlaw
    goughlaw
    Community Member

Thanks for the advice. Since my iPhone would accept the whole password and show all the dots I just changed the password to one that would display fully on my laptop. It never occurred to me that the password would be accepted when the dots stopped showing up. I think at this point I will just keep the shorter password- it's plenty log -rather than run an experiment by changing back to the very long one and seeing if it would work on the laptop. Thanks again! Kerry

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

On behalf of Danco and Jacob, you're very welcome! If you do decide to change back to the previous (and longer) master password, it will definitely work correctly on your Mac - just keep in mind that even though your master password might be longer than the width of the field, it really does accept all the characters you type. If what you see on the screen seems confusing, try typing the master password without looking at the screen. Just look down at your keyboard the entire time you type your master password, and once you type the whole thing, press Return/Enter. As long as you type your master password correctly, it will unlock.

But as long as your new master password is strong and you like it better, you can certainly keep using it. I just wanted to assure you that the longer one will also work if you decide to switch back to it.

If you need anything else, don't hesitate to let us know. We're here for you! :)

This discussion has been closed.