Extension cannot find app after authorization in Firefox, questions about account

This discussion was created from comments split from: Can never Authorize Firefox on Mac.

Comments

• chinamax
    chinamax
    Community Member

I am using OS 10.10.5, Firefox 49.0.2, and 1password 6.3.5. I still get the request to authorize and when I do it says it is looking for the 1password app, but can't find it. :(
    I recently switched to the online version of 1password, but when I go to open it on my computer, it still wants to use the old password I had set for it. Maybe I've not correctly transitioned to the new version of 1password???

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @chinamax,

Since you're also having some trouble with the setup of your 1Password.com account and the main 1Password app on your Mac, I've moved your message to a new thread. I hope you don't mind!

I am using OS 10.10.5, Firefox 49.0.2, and 1password 6.3.5. I still get the request to authorize and when I do it says it is looking for the 1password app, but can't find it.

When you see the 6-digit code in Firefox, do you also see a popup window from 1Password with a matching 6-digit code? And if so, do you click the Authorize button?

If you're able to authorize the extension in Firefox, but then the extension can't connect to 1Password, please open the main 1Password app, go to 1Password > Preferences in the menubar, click the General tab, and make sure the option for "Always keep 1Password Mini running" is enabled. If that option was disabled, that would explain why the extension can't connect.

On the other hand, if it was already enabled, please try restarting 1Password mini: From the main 1Password app, go to Help > Troubleshooting > Restart 1Password mini. After it restarts, try using the extension in Firefox again. Finally, if restarting mini doesn't help, please reboot your Mac. After it restarts, does the browser extension work in Firefox?

I recently switched to the online version of 1password, but when I go to open it on my computer, it still wants to use the old password I had set for it.

Do you still have a vault named "Primary" in 1Password on your Mac? If so, the app will continue to ask for the Primary vault's master password. The Primary vault is a local/standalone vault that is not part of any 1Password.com account. You'll need to make sure you've signed into your account in the 1Password app and migrated all your data from any local vaults to your 1Password.com account vaults. Once you've done that, you can delete the Primary vault, and the app will start requiring the new master password for your account. Please make sure you follow the steps here: Set up the apps and import your data

Please let us know how it all goes, thanks! :)

• chinamax
    chinamax
    Community Member

Hello Drew
    Been a crazy month here and just finally getting caught up with this issue. (It's easy to keep muddling along when things mostly work, and I can use lazy work arounds, like a different browser)

I've got 1password working with Firefox again. Turns out I needed to customize the toolbar and add the 1password icon back in. That fixed that.

As to getting all my systems using the new log-in with 1password.com. I'll try to get this over the weekend. As I understand what you have written here, once I get everything transferred over to the new online vault, I delete the primary vault, and then I will be asked to use the PW for the new online vault.

Sounds simple enough.

Thanks for you help and have a good holiday
    Michael

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@chinamax: Happy Thanksgiving to you too! Thanks for following up! I think Drew is in a food coma right now, but I'm glad to hear that you were able to add the 1Password button to Firefox's toolbar — and I'm sure he will be too, once he recovers. ;)

Be sure to let us know if we can be of further assistance as you migrate to 1Password.com. We're here for you! :)

• chinamax
    chinamax
    Community Member

finally getting around to making these changes.
    I've moved everything from the old local vault to the new online vault.
    Not sure how to delete the "primary" vault.
    Help please!

Thanks
    Michael

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @chinamax,

If you've moved all your data from the Primary vault to your new account vault, you can follow these steps to delete the Primary vault:

1. Open & unlock the main 1Password app.
    2. Click the vault switcher in the top left corner of the window and select Primary.
    3. Go to 1Password > Delete Vault... in the menubar.
    4. After reading the warning that appears, enter the master password for your Primary vault and click Delete Items and Vault.

Does that help? If you have trouble with that, please let us know what happens. Thanks! :)

• chinamax
    chinamax
    Community Member

Do I need to do this on all my computers? Or can I just do my main computer, and then have the other computers simply link with the new online vault? Also, do I need to do the same thing with my iPhone and iPad?

Sorry for the extra questions. This whole change over makes me a bit nervous. Is there some kind of back up I can do before I start this migration, so if I blow stuff up I have a fall back?

Thanks
    Michael

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @chinamax,

Do I need to do this on all my computers?

Moving your data from the Primary vault to your account vault only needs to be done on one device. But deleting the Primary vault is something you'll need to do on each device where the Primary vault exists.

Or can I just do my main computer, and then have the other computers simply link with the new online vault?

Any changes you make within your new account vault(s) will automatically sync between your devices (as long as you've signed into your account from the 1Password app on those devices). However, the Primary vault is not part of your account (that's why you needed to move your data from the Primary vault to your new account vault).

The Primary vault is what we call a "local vault", which means it only exists locally on a device unless you've chosen to sync it elsewhere using one of the other sync options (Dropbox, iCloud, WLAN Server). Although changes to the data within your Primary vault might sync to your other devices through one of those sync options, deleting the Primary vault does not, so you need to delete it from each device yourself.

Also, do I need to do the same thing with my iPhone and iPad?

Yes, although the steps to remove the Primary vault are a little different in the iOS version. At the moment, the best way to remove the Primary vault from 1Password on an iOS device is to go into 1Password > Settings > Advanced > Erase All 1Password Data, and then set up the app by signing into your account again. (We're working on making this easier in the future.) As long as you've already moved your data to your account vault, you won't lose anything by doing this.

Sorry for the extra questions.

It's no problem at all, that's why we're here! We're always happy to answer your questions about 1Password. :)

This whole change over makes me a bit nervous. Is there some kind of back up I can do before I start this migration, so if I blow stuff up I have a fall back?

Your data is backed up automatically, so you don't need to take any extra steps to do that. Local vaults (like Primary) are automatically backed up locally on your Mac by the 1Password app. Account vaults are automatically backed up on our servers.

If you have more questions about any of that, please don't hesitate to let us know! :)

• chinamax
    chinamax
    Community Member

OK, I took the leap. Deleted the primary vault from my computer. And it works just fine.
    However, I followed the instructions for the iPhone. And it deleted fine. Went to sign in and it wants:
    team url
    account key
    email address
    master password

or I can just scan the QR code. Which I have put into a very safe place. Meaning I've forgotten where I put it.
    I suspect I can down load that again from my account that is working on the computer. And this time I'll see if I can put it in a slightly less secure (meaning I can remember) place.

Thanks Michael

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@chinamax: Ah, yep. The two best things about the Account Key are that it is used to strengthen the encryption and that you can access it from any authorized device. So while it's certainly a good idea to keep a copy of the Emergency Kit somewhere safe as a last resort, in most cases you'll have at least one device hand to use to login to a new one. Much more convenient. If you've got it authorized in 1Password for Mac, just go to Preferences > Accounts; or in the browser, go to https://start.1password.com/apps and you can get your QR code. Cheers! :)

• chinamax
    chinamax
    Community Member

OK, I'm up and running now. Thanks!

• chinamax
    chinamax
    Community Member

Spoke a little too soon.
    I'm up and running just fine with my primary computer. My secondary computer has issues.

I deleted the primary account on the secondary computer, and from the 1password app I can get access to everything just fine. But the little 1password icons in my Safari and Firefox no longer will function. I click and nothing happens. Do I needs to reinstall those extensions?

• ag_TJLuoma
    ag_TJLuoma
    1Password Alumni

Hi @chinamax

Yes, I would definitely try reinstalling the extension from https://agilebits.com/onepassword/extensions

Please let us know if that doesn't fix the problem!

Thanks!

Tj

• chinamax
    chinamax
    Community Member

That did it. Thanks!

• ag_TJLuoma
    ag_TJLuoma
    1Password Alumni

Yay! Thanks for the update @chinamax !

Glad it's working!

Tj