To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

What to do in emergencies?

Options
benjamincano
benjamincano
Community Member

I recommended 1P to a friend and she moved all her accounts. This week she went on a trip only with her phone and her phone got wet. So without her phone she couldn't login into anything, she couldn't log into her e-mail, or dropbox to get her files.

She downloaded the app from a friends phone but was asked for a key, what is that? she is an old user like myself and we only got serial keys. So even if she could log into her 1Password (she couldn't she didn't had a key) she still needed the Dropbox password to get the vault, and you see how something simple escalated very quickly. There was no one at home, to ask look up for her passwords.

Isn't the idea of 1Password to have only 1Password hence the name and not other elements that make it complicated?

My main questions are, what is a good solution to avoid this? Is there a way to have a Vault somewhere else, like on the cloud with 1P? what is 1Password.com? Probably the main difference is that 1P is now a subscription service but any solutions or feedback of how it works now its appreciated in order to avoid this in the future if something like this happens.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

First (for the benefit of other users, you probably understand what the situation is) you are wrong in saying 1PW is now a subscription service. While the subscription service is the one most recommended, the stand-alone licence is still available.

Second, the options depend on whether one is using the subscription or the old-style licence.

With the subscription, the vault is stored on 1password.com (with a local copy). This can be accessed either by the program or by a web browser. In this model one needs both a master password and an Account Key. The account key is generated when the account is set up. While the master password should remain secret, the account key can be written down and should be as it is not something one remembers. And when travelling it makes sense to keep a copy of the key in one's wallet.

The stand-alone version is different. Even if Dropbox or iCloud are used, they can't be accessed by a web browser (Dropbox removed that option a while ago) but only by the program. She would need the passwords for those, and the solution is to create passwords for those that can be remembered (I sometimes say that I am using 3Password because of having to remember those).

Your friend got caught by not having ever needed to understand the difference between the two approaches until now. When she downloaded the app she would have been asked whether to go to (or create) an account or to continue without an account. As she had the licence version she should have continued without an account and would not have been asked for a key.

• benjamincano
    benjamincano
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks, this is really interesting. I own the standalone version, how can I take advantage of 1P.com? Do the vault sync automatically or only when I sync the vaults manually?

Is the Key useful for the stand alone version in any way?

• SeanFoster
    edited November 2016
    Options

Hello @benjamincano! It looks like @danco got the ball rolling in a very helpful way. :chuffed: He’s right, there will always be a couple of things you have to remember or have on hand to access 1Password on a new device, without those things the security of 1Password would simply be compromised to a degree we’re not comfortable with. As @danco mentioned, I too have opted to create Dropbox and iCloud passwords that while strong, are also ones I can commit to memory and not the standard 40 characters of assorted characters I use for most logins. I did this because those two services are just too valuable for me and since before I had a 1Password Account, required for me to access 1Password on new devices.

A 1Password Account is a new service and would not be directly connected to the Primary vault you are likely familiar with, your existing logins would need to be migrated into the new Account where we at AgileBits would handle the storage of your 1Password logins from then on. Your data is available to you on any device simply by signing into your 1Password account in the app. You will set up your 1Password account with an email address and choose a Master Password to protect your data (in combination with an Account Key, which is a feature unique to 1Password accounts so would not apply to you with your single license). The Account Key sort of takes the spot of the earlier mentioned Dropbox or iCloud password, the extra vector with which your logins are protected.

If you’d like to check out a 1Password Account, it includes a 30-day trial with absolutely no obligations, so feel free to check out our existing user migration guide which will take you through creating an account and migrating your existing logins into it:

Move your existing 1Password data to a 1Password account

Let me know if you have any follow-up questions. :)

• rosie_potaznik
    rosie_potaznik
    Community Member
    edited December 2016
    Options

I currently have a padlock on my notes screen. I am unable to put my password into the notes to retrieve my personal information. It accepts the code but will not retrieve the info required. The notes that do not require a PASSWORD have the retained information.This matter is extremely urgent as I cannot retrieve banking or other highly personal information.
    please contact me on:

[removed personal info]

• @rosie_potaznik This is a public forum and you posted some private contact info, so I have removed it. I see you have emailed us about 1Password 3 for iOS as well, and Greig responded there. Let's keep the conversation going via email for now to sort things out.

ref: GLM-12174-687

This discussion has been closed.