Synching between 3 Macs, iPad & iPhone

ronknights01
ronknights01
Community Member

I've been using 1Password for several years. In that time, I've purchased it in different ways. Most recently, I've purchased 1Password via the App store on my Macs (probably also with the iPad & iPhone.) I've had some difficulty with synching across all the devices. The most recent try at synching gave me multiple listings for each login.

Today I saw info about using the 1Password account and set it up on two of my Macs. I manually "pruned" the login list to hopefully get a more accurate listing. Can I just use the 1Password account login for all my devices?! Can I get rid of the iCloud synch feature?!

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @ronknights01,

Sorry to hear you ran into some trouble syncing your 1Password data between all your devices, but I'm glad you decided to sign up for a 1Password.com account! That should definitely make it easier to sync your data.

Can I just use the 1Password account login for all my devices?!

Absolutely! You just need to sign into your account from the 1Password app on each device, and it will start syncing your account data.

If you haven't already done so, you'll need to move the data from your old vault(s) to your new account. It's easy, and you can find the steps here: Set up the apps and import your data

Can I get rid of the iCloud synch feature?!

Yes, if you move all your data to your new account, you will no longer need to use iCloud to sync 1Password. To avoid confusion, you can delete the old vault (i.e. Primary) after moving everything to your account (the article from the above link explains how to do that as well).

I hope that helps, but if you have more questions about that or need anything else, please let us know. We're always happy to help! :)

• ronknights
    ronknights
    Community Member

OK, thanks. It will take me awhile to catch up. I had to order a new cartridge for my laser jet printer. It arrives today! Then I can print the Emergency Kit so I can scan the QR code. That will make things much easier for the iPad Air 2 & iPhone 4S setup!

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

You're very welcome, @ronknights!

Even if you don't have a printed copy of your Emergency Kit, you can still sign into your account on your other devices. You can view your QR code on 1Password.com - just sign into your account from a browser, click the account drop-down menu in the top right, and choose “Get the Apps” to see your QR code.

Or if you've signed into your account in the 1Password app on your Mac, you can go to 1Password > Preferences > Accounts, select your account, then click Add Devices to see your QR code.

I hope you enjoy your new account! Please let us know if you have more questions about that. :)

• ronknights
    ronknights
    Community Member

OK, I think it's finally taken care of. I had trouble scanning the QR code with my iPad. I entered the info manually (too much typing!). I was able to scan the QR code with my iPhone 4S. I looked at the info about importing data, but found it totally confusing. I deleted the iCloud stuff.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @ronknights,

Sorry to hear you had trouble scanning the QR code with your iPad, but I'm glad you were able to sign in manually. You're right, it's definitely a lot of typing - but fortunately you shouldn't need to do that again on the iPad.

I looked at the info about importing data, but found it totally confusing.

Do you still need help to do that? Please note that you only need to move your data from your Primary vault to your account vault once (i.e. on one device). The data you move to your account vault on one device will sync to that account vault on your other devices.

I'm sorry if the steps were confusing! If you can let us know which steps you didn't understand (i.e. the steps for Mac or the steps for iOS, I can forward your feedback to our documentation team so they can improve that.

• ronknights
    ronknights
    Community Member

First, I forgot that I already had a "forum account" here. I had formerly used an "alternative" email address. Then I came in recently using my main email address. I think 1Password finally showed me the old one?!

I think the data sorted itself out already?! It seems to be there?!

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @ronknights,

I forgot that I already had a "forum account" here. I had formerly used an "alternative" email address. Then I came in recently using my main email address. I think 1Password finally showed me the old one?!

It looks like you signed up for two forum accounts: You signed up for the first one several years ago, then signed up again last week with a different email address. That's not a problem at all and you can use whichever one you prefer.

I think the data sorted itself out already?! It seems to be there?!

Awesome! Sounds like you've migrated your data from the old Primary vault to your new account vault and should be all set. But as always, we're here for you if you need more help or have questions! :)

• ronknights
    ronknights
    Community Member

OK, wow. I just looked over things, and remain totally confused. I thought the iPhone was set, but it didn't show my account listed there. I scanned the QR code, and thought it worked. But the info isn't there.

Also, I'm looking at info on moving my data, and find it totally confusing. What vault do I move from, and what vault do I move to?! I see Primary, Personal, Shared.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @ronknights,

I'm sorry there's still some confusion here, but don't worry, I can see a light at the end of the tunnel! ;)

What vault do I move from, and what vault do I move to?! I see Primary, Personal, Shared.

Are those the vaults you see in 1Password on your iPhone?

The Primary vault is not part of your 1Password.com account - it is a local/standalone vault that you were using before you signed up for an account. Now that you have an account, the idea is to move all your data from the local "Primary" vault to your new account vaults (you may or may not have already done that on your Mac, and we'll help you figure that out). Once you've moved your data to your new account vaults, you can delete the Primary vault to avoid confusion.

The Personal and Shared vaults are part of your account ("Personal" is your own private vault, and "Shared" is for items you want to share with other members of your account). Any items that are in your account vaults will automatically sync between your different devices (as long as you're signed into that account in 1Password on those devices).

I thought the iPhone was set, but it didn't show my account listed there.

If you're seeing your account vaults (Personal and Shared) in the 1Password app on your iPhone, that means you signed into your account there. But you can easily double-check that: just open 1Password on your iPhone and go to Settings > 1Password Accounts. If you're signed into your account, you'll see it listed there under "Your Accounts".

But the info isn't there.

Let's check which vault(s) currently contain your data:

• On your iPhone, open 1Password and tap the Categories section at the bottom.
    • Tap the vault icon in the top left corner of the Categories screen to see the vault switcher (aside from the "All Vaults" option, it sounds like you should see Primary, Personal, and Shared).
    • Tap on Primary to switch to that vault, and check the item count next to "All Items".
    • Tap the vault switcher icon again, tap on Personal, and check the item count next to "All Items".
    • Finally, tap the vault switcher icon again, tap on Shared, and check the item count next to "All Items".

If you moved all your items to the Personal and/or Shared vault(s) in 1Password on your Mac, then those items should all be in the Personal and/or Shared vault(s) in 1Password on your iPhone. You should also see all your items in those vaults when you sign into your account on 1Password.com.

As long as all your data is in your account vaults now (Personal and Shared), you can delete the Primary vault because you no longer need it. At the moment, the best way to do that in 1Password for iOS is to go into 1Password > Settings > Advanced > Erase All 1Password Data, and then set up the app by signing into your account again. (We're working on making this easier in the future.) Just be sure you already have all your data in your account vault(s) before doing this.

Does that help? Please let us know how it goes and if you have more questions. Thanks! :)

• ronknights
    ronknights
    Community Member

On the iPhone 4S, I went to Categories. There is NO Vault icon! I've gone in several times, to add account, and scanned the QR code. It shows my account. I fiddle about a bit more, and go back later. The account is no longer listed?!

I looked at the 1Password icon, somewhere I saw it listed as 1Password Essentials. I looked in the App Store, and didn't see more than one version of 1Password. What's going on here?!

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @ronknights,

Can you please check a few things on your iPhone:

• What version of iOS do you have on your iPhone? (Click the link for steps to find the version.)
    • What exact version of 1Password is installed on your iPhone? (Click the link for steps to find the version.)
    • If you open 1Password on your iPhone and go to Settings > Accounts, what do you currently see there? If no accounts are listed, what's there instead?
    • If you go to Settings > Vaults, what do you see there?
    • If you go to Settings > Sync, what do you see there?
    • In the Categories section, do you have any of your data there?
    • You previously said you saw the Primary, Personal, and Shared vaults - where exactly did you see those?

(If you can't find some things in 1Password that I mentioned above, just let us know.)

Also, please open 1Password on your Mac, unlock it (if prompted), and go to 1Password > Switch to Vault in the menubar. Do you have multiple vaults listed there? If so, what are their names?

If you have multiple vaults in 1Password on your Mac, please check each one individually (you can use the vault switcher in the top left corner of the app window, or by going to 1Password > Switch to Vault in the menubar). In which vault(s) do you see all your data?

Thanks!

• ronknights
    ronknights
    Community Member
    edited November 2016

Oh, wow! Hey last night I deleted 1Password off the iPhone out of desperation. Just now, I decided to reinstall it, but it was there already?! But then it looked different than before! I have 1Password v 6.4.5! And I have my 1Password account as well! Next I'll look at my iPad and see if all is well there. I've had a really rough day. I might not look at the iPad till tomorrow!

By the way, I'll stick with "ronknights," so you can just address any further communication to "ronknights." If you want, you can delete the ronknights1 identity.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

That's good news, @ronknights! Sounds like it's working correctly on your iPhone, and hopefully it's working on your iPad as well. Let us know how it all works out and if you need more help with that! :)

• ronknights
    ronknights
    Community Member

The iPad looks ok, but it still shows the old Primary vault. I didn't find a way to delete the Primary vault. I still need to update 1Password on my old Macbook. But I don't use the Macbook very often. I decided to let it sit for awhile.

• ronknights
    ronknights
    Community Member

Oh, just wanted to pop in and say I successfully got iPassword updated and working properly on the Macbook. I had to do a bunch of updates first. That often happens to me if I haven't used a computer for awhile.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @ronknights,

Currently, there's no option to delete the Primary vault in 1Password for iOS (although we'll hopefully be adding that ability at some point). But there's a simple workaround for that: just reset the 1Password app on your iPad, then set it up again by signing into your account. To reset 1Password for iOS, open it and go to Settings > Advanced > Erase All 1Password Data. (Alternately, you can delete the 1Password app from your iPad and reinstall it.)

As for your MacBook, we'll be happy to help you with that too, if you need it. As long as 1Password 6 is installed on that MacBook, you can sign into your account from 1Password > Preferences > Accounts. Once you've done that, you can switch to the Primary vault and go to 1Password > Delete Vault... in the menu (this is assuming you don't have anything in the Primary vault on that Mac which you don't already have in your account vaults).

We're here for you if you need help with that! :)

This discussion has been closed.