I set up 1Password to show one-time password for dropbox, but it shows wrong ones

angpan32
angpan32
Community Member
edited November 2016 in Mac

I set up 1Password to show one-time password for dropbox, but it shows wrong ones

yes I checked, I do have date and time zone set up automatically (and it is correct)

1Password Version: 6.3.5
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.11.6
Sync Type: dropbox
Referrer: forum-search:one-time passwords not working

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @angpan32,

I'm sorry you're having some trouble with a one-time password in 1Password!

Can you please elaborate on what you mean when you say "it shows wrong ones"? Do you mean that one-time password is different in 1Password on your Mac than on another device (iPhone, Android, another Mac, etc)? The code should change every 30 seconds, so if you're comparing it to the same Login item in 1Password on another device, make sure you can see both of them at the same time to confirm whether or not they match.

Or do you mean you try to enter that one-time password into the Dropbox website when signing in, but it's rejected each time?

Do you happen to have one-time passwords in other Login items? If so, are those working correctly?

Once we know a bit more about the problem you're experiencing, we should have a better idea of how to help you solve it. Thanks in advance! :)

• angpan32
    angpan32
    Community Member

I mean that if I copy-paste (or write myself) the one-time code given by 1password to login Dropbox, the Browser tells me it is the wrong one (I tried with both Safari and Firefox). If instead I use the code displayed by the Authenticator app I previously used to get one-time codes from, I can login.

I just tried with Google...and had no problem there: the one-time code given by 1password allowed me to log in, and (as expected) the previous Authenticator app started giving me a code that doesn't allow me to log in.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

I haven't experienced this myself, but it sounds like there's some discrepancy between the timing that Google and Dropbox are using. And similarly, 1Password uses the device's system time to generate the TOTP code, so make sure that it is set correctly. If the other authenticator is using a different timing source, it will generate another code altogether, perhaps merely offset slightly. In some cases using an automatic date and time setting results in it being incorrect. I have no idea why, but if you're still having trouble, verify the time yourself with a 3rd party.

This discussion has been closed.