Safari plug-in showing wrong accounts

Stephen Yeoh
Stephen Yeoh
Community Member

I have a web hosting server with multiple logins to the server (same URL). In the main application, I have the items I don't want to see set to "Never display in browser", but when I click on the 1password item in Safari, even the items that have been set to never display are still visible. I've tried resetting 1password mini with no difference.

1Password Version: 6.3.5
Extension Version: 4.6.1
OS Version: 10.12.1
Sync Type: iCloud
Referrer: kb:undefined, kb-search:wrong information

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Stephen Yeoh,

Hmm, that's definitely a strange problem! I haven't heard of that setting working incorrectly, so I'm trying to think of some other things that might result in seeing items in the browser extension / 1Password mini that are set to never display there. Did you just recently set those Login items to "Never display in browser"? Or have they been like that for some time, but recently started showing up in mini?

Is there any chance you forgot to save changes to those Login items when you set them to "Never display in browser"? If so, that would certainly explain why they still appear there. Try checking a few of those items in the main 1Password app (you'll need to click 'Edit' to check the "display" setting).

Do you have multiple vaults in 1Password on your Mac? If you do, and if you have duplicates of those items in another vault, that might also explain why you see them in 1Password mini / browser extension (in other words, one copy of the item might be set to "Never display in browser", but the other one might be set to "Always"). In the main 1Password app, you can see which vault you're currently viewing in the top left corner of the window. Click on that to see a list of all the vaults in 1Password on that Mac. Try selecting each vault to see if one of them has duplicate copies of the items in question.

Another possibility is that perhaps you have both the AgileBits Store version and Mac App Store version of 1Password installed at the same time. Each of those keeps a separate database on your Mac, so they might have many of the same items, but changes to one might not sync to the other. If you go to the Applications folder on your Mac, do you see two 1Password app files in there? If you see one named "1Password.app", that's the Mac App Store version. If you see another one with a number in the name, like "1Password 6.app" or "1Password 5.app", that's the AgileBits Store version. Try checking those items in each one - are they set to "Always" in one app but not the other?

Please let us know if any of these things seem to explain the problem. Thanks! :)

• Stephen Yeoh
    Stephen Yeoh
    Community Member

Hi Drew,

These were set some time ago. I did click on Edit to look at the settings and most were already set to "Never display". They have been that way at least for a few weeks.

I have only one vault.

I have the 1Password app from the App Store.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Thanks @Stephen Yeoh!

These were set some time ago.

Did those items just recently start showing up in 1Password mini / browser extension? Or have they always shown up there for as long as they've been set to "Never display"?

I did click on Edit to look at the settings and most were already set to "Never display". They have been that way at least for a few weeks.

Do you mean some items you previous set to "Never display" had reverted back to "Always"? If so, did you try changing those items back to "Never display"? And if so, do those specific items still appear in 1Password mini?

Can you please try a test for a few items that are set to "Never display" but are still displayed in 1Password mini:

1. In the main 1Password app, find one of the items in question, click Edit and change the 'display' option to "Always", then click Save.
    2. Repeat step 1 with a few other items that are having this problem.
    3. While holding down the control key, choose 1Password > Quit 1Password and 1Password mini from the menubar.
    4. Reboot your Mac.
    5. After your Mac restarts, click the 1Password mini icon in the menubar, unlock it, and confirm that the items from steps 1 and 2 are displayed.
    6. Open the main 1Password app and edit each of those items again, and this time change the 'display' option to "Never display in browser" (remember to click Save).
    7. Click the 1Password mini icon in the menubar and see if those items are displayed or hidden.

Let us know how it all goes, thanks! :)

• Stephen Yeoh
    Stephen Yeoh
    Community Member

To answer your question, no, they did not revert. They were still set to "Never display".

That fixed the problem. I went through each one that was displaying incorrectly, toggled them to Always display, save, then toggle back to Never display.

How did this happen and what does the control quit do?

Thanks!

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

That's great news @Stephen Yeoh! I'm glad toggling that setting seems to have solved the problem.

How did this happen and what does the control quit do?

I don't believe I've ever heard of this issue before, so I'm afraid I don't know how or why it happened. If you've used 1Password for a long time and created those specific items in an older version, my best guess is that maybe there was an old bug which could have caused that setting to work incorrectly for those items. But that's really just total speculation.

As for quitting both 1Password and 1Password mini, that can help solve some miscellaneous issues, similar to how restarting a computer can solve some issues. 1Password mini is a component that runs in the background even when you quit the main 1Password app, so in some cases, quitting/restarting 1Password mini can help.

Hopefully you're all set now, but if you run into more problems or have any questions, just let us know. Have a great weekend! :)

This discussion has been closed.