password generator randomly not saving to password database on mac v6.3.5

rbearit
rbearit
Community Member

When changing passwords on sites I choose to use the password generator. On situations where it does not save it to the Login entry I try to lookup the password in the app under passwords in the left hand column. At times it does not appear there for me to copy and paste to the login entry for that site. It is a random failure? When it happens you cannot get back into your site because you do not know what the new password is, only the old one is in the login entry.

1Password Version: 6.3.5
Extension Version: 635001
OS Version: MacOS 10.12.1
Sync Type: dropbox
Referrer: forum-search:password generator randomly not saving to password database on mac v6.3.5

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    edited November 2016

Hi @rbearit,

I'm sorry you aren't able to find some of your generated passwords! We'll be happy to help figure out what's going on.

What are the exact steps you take to enter a generated password on a website? When you use the Password Generator in 1Password mini, it will save a new Password item when you do any of the following:

• You click the Fill button
    • You click the ▼ button next to Fill and choose Copy
    • You highlight the generated password and manually copy it (by using ⌘C or right-click > Copy)

As long as you're doing one of those things, a new Password item should be created. Normally, 1Password prompts you to update your existing Login item when you submit the 'change password' form on the website, and if you click the 'Update Existing' button, the new password is copied to your Login item, and the corresponding Password item is automatically deleted.

On situations where it does not save it to the Login entry...

Just to make sure I understand, do you mean 1Password doesn't prompt you to update a Login item when you submit the 'change password' form on some sites? Or do you mean it prompts you and you click 'Update Existing', but the Login item still shows the old password?

At times it does not appear there for me to copy and paste to the login entry for that site.

Do you have a bunch of items in the Passwords category? If so, (and if this problem happens again), try sorting the list of Password items by Date Created (the sort setting is right below the 'Search' field in the main 1Password app). The newest Password item should then be listed at the top. Do you see the one you created, or is it missing?

If you'd like to test it now instead of waiting for the problem to happen again, you can go to any website, open the Password Generator, and Copy the password - that should create a new Password item, so you can check to see if it's there.

Another possibility is that you might have multiple copies of 1Password on your Mac. For example, if you have both the AgileBits Store version and the Mac App Store version of 1Password installed at the same time, they would each have their own database, and the one you're checking might not be the one where the "missing" password items are being saved. It's sort of a long-shot, but you might want to check the Applications folder on your Mac to see if you have multiple 1Password apps there (if you do, let us know their names).

Please let us know if any of this helps - if not, we'll continue trying to figure out what's going wrong. Thanks! :)

• rbearit
    rbearit
    Community Member

What you describe is exactly how I understand the 1password app works. The steps I took are:
    Click the 1password icon in the safari toolbar.
    Enter my password to open the app.
    Mouse down to Password Generator.
    Some sites do not allow symbols, on those, I move the slider to 0.
    The down arrow next to Fill shows copy to clipboard before filling.
    I click Fill, the fields for password on the site get filled, accepted, and changed.
    If it matters my agilekeychain is on my dropbox.
    On some sites I get no prompt to update or add a login, on some I do in which case I click Update Existing. If the former occurs, I click on my 1password box which is open and in the background.
    I click on Passwords in the left menu bar, They appear and are already sorted by date created/most recent to oldest.
    Sometimes, the password which just appeared when I clicked Fill is not in the list. It seems to be an intermittent omission.
    As far as I know only one copy of 1password exists, purchased directly from your site, not the app store.
    Copy to clipboard before filling is selected.
    As insurance I guess I should copy the generated password because one never knows when create or update existing box will open nor it not show up under Passwords.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Thanks @rbearit! That's definitely a strange problem, and it's a bit difficult to troubleshoot since it only happens intermittently. What will help is if you can send us a diagnostics report the next time this happens. Since you don't know when it will happen again, you can try to reproduce it sooner by generating passwords and Password items without actually changing anything in your existing website accounts. To do that:

1. Open any website in your browser.
    2. Open the 1Password extension / 1Password mini and go to the Password Generator.
    3. Copy the generated password (click the ▼ button and choose Copy, or highlight the password and use ⌘C or right-click > Copy).
    4. Open the main 1Password app and check the Passwords category to see if a new Password item was created.

If a new Password item was created, feel free to delete it. You can try that as many times as you want to see if it fails to create a new Password item.

The next time the problem happens (either from the above steps or from the steps you normally take when trying to change a password on a website), please create a Diagnostics Report from your Mac: https://support.1password.com/diagnostics/?mac

Attach the Diagnostics Report to an email message addressed to: support+forum@agilebits.com

Please do not post your Diagnostics Report in the forums, but please do include a link to this thread in your email, along with your forum username so that we can "connect the dots" when we see your report in our inbox.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here so we can track down the report and make sure you receive a reply as quickly as possible. Once we see the report we'll take a look to see if we can figure out why this is happening. Thanks in advance! :)

• giovan28
    giovan28
    Community Member

I'm having the exact same issue. Occasionally password doesn't prompt to save or update existing using mini, that's fine . So I go to to the main page, not the mini, and under date created, which is today, nothing appears for today's date. Is this a known issue. Please advise. Frustrating, as I have to do a password reset.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@giovan28:

Thanks for letting us know. This is really strange. There may be a discrepancy between 1Password and the extension which is contributing to this odd behaviour. Please do the following:

1. Update 1Password
    2. Remove the 1Password extension from your browsers
    3. Update your browsers
    4. Restart your Mac
    5. Install the latest browser extensions

You'll need to authorize the connection. Just match the codes between the browser and 1Password, and then let me know if you're still having trouble with saving passwords. If you are, the best thing to do will be to immediately generate a diagnostic report so we can look at the logs to determine exactly what is happening:

Sending Diagnostics Reports (Mac)

Please send it to support+forums@agilebits.com with a link to this discussion and your username in the email so we can 'connect the dots'. Also, knowing your timezone and the date/time of the incident will help us find it in the logs. We will get to the bottom of this! :)

• giovan28
    giovan28
    Community Member

this is interesting. Is this and old version of the browser extension ?
    1password 4.6.2 for firefox

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@giovan28: Ah, a fair question! Version 4.6.2 is the current stable release of the 1Password browser extension. Apart from that confusion (understandable, since 1Password for Mac is at version 6.5.2), did my suggestion help?

• giovan28
    giovan28
    Community Member

Totally. Thank you. When I saw the discrepancy, I did an uninstall and re- install, only to discover that the browser version # hadn't changed,which at first got me excited as that may have been the cause of 1password not properly saving the passwords. Guess it's gonna be a wait and see approach.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Ah, okay. Sounds good! Hopefully that will be the end of it, but be sure to let us know if you run into any more trouble!

This discussion has been closed.