Feature Request: Setting a password/account as "default" when multiple logins are present

Options
aascheagb
aascheagb
Community Member
edited November 2016 in 1Password in the Browser

I have a feature request - if it's already baked in somewhere, awesome - please tell me!
As a consultant, and also as a user with tons of online accounts, I often visit sites where I have multiple logins (maybe a few for me, and a few for my clients). But generally speaking, there is one login on that particular site that I use 90% of the time. Would be great if I could identify that one login as my "default" so that when I hit the shortcut (command+) that default gets entered. This would save me having to pick from the long list each time I log in.

Alternatively, if I could "mute" the very rarely used accounts, that would help. An example here would for mailchimp - where I have my own login, and 2 client logins. I rarely log in as my clients, but I don't want to delete them. I'd like to be able to mute those client logins (or "default" my personal login), so that when I go to Mailchimp, my personal login is autofilled.

1Password Version: 6.3.5
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Sierra
Sync Type: Wifi

Comments

• jxpx777
    jxpx777
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks for your post, @aascheagb. I think I can help you get to where you want to be with this through a series of different configuration options. You can combine any of these to find what works for you:

1. Controlling which Logins 1Password prefers

If you go to 1Password > Preferences > Browsers, you'll see a checkbox labelled "Allow filling on pages that closely match saved websites". Make sure this is unchecked and 1Password will match first on the Logins in your vault that match the full subdomain of the site you're on, e.g. blog.example.com will get preference over admin.example.com when you're on blog.example.com.

2. Vaults

If it's an option for you, consider moving some of the items that you use infrequently into a vault that you don't include in All Vaults. You can edit this list in 1Password > Preferences > Vaults. Then, if you do need to sign into one of the clients' accounts, you can switch to the vault easily and do so.

3. The Display Attribute

This is one that goes unnoticed sometimes, but it's really handy. In each item, you can set a Display attribute that will exclude it from item lists for the browser extensions. What's not immediately clear from this setting though is that the item can still be used with open and fill. So, you can have those unused items set to Display "Never" but then find them in the main app and click their URLs to open the site and immediately fill. Be sure the URL for the items points to a page where there is a sign in form for best results.

4. Favorites

Finally, 1Password will bubble up your favorite items to the top of a list of multiple matches. I'm trying to word this carefully because it can be confusing sometimes, depending on your setting for #1 above, but if there are multiple best matches for the current site, 1Password will list any items in those best matches that are marked as favorites at the top of the list.

With some combination of these four features of 1Password, I think you'll be able to bubble your most important items up to the top of the list more often and ease the pain of having so many Logins to wrangle. I hope it helps!

--
    Jamie Phelps
    Code Wrangler @ AgileBits

• aascheagb
    aascheagb
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for your detailed answer. I think I'm just asking for the best of both worlds sort of thing :)
    Vaults (#2 suggestion) would work, but is (IMO) too cumbersome for my specific situation. Favorites (#4 solution) is helpful to elevate the specific entry to the top of the heap, but doesn't solve for the convenience aspect I'm looking for (i.e. I still need to manually click that entry). Display Attribute (#3 solution) is promising, but too extreme. For those rare instances when I need to log in to those rarely used accounts it would be more tedious to have to open the desktop app and find the login creds.

I'd be looking for a modification on your Display attributes suggestion, where there is a new option called "mute" or similar. In such an instance, if you muted an entry, the logins would still be in the list, but they'd be ghosted and would only login if clicked. If you "muted" all but your primary login for a site, when you hit the shortcut, it would autofill the primary. Hope that makes sense.

Thanks again for the suggestions though!

• jxpx777
    jxpx777
    1Password Alumni
    Options

That's an interesting idea, @aascheagb. I'm not sure how well the vast majority of users would grok that idea, but it's certainly worth considering.

One other option I neglected to mention is 1Click bookmarks. If you have a pretty standard sign in page, you can drag a Login from the main app to your bookmarks to create a 1Click bookmark. Then, when you click on it, 1Password will leap into action to fill for you. You can read some more about 1Click Bookmarks on our blog.

• aascheagb
    aascheagb
    Community Member
    edited November 2016
    Options

Thanks.
    Have a great weekend!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Likewise! We're here if you need us! :)

• Nonylus
    Nonylus
    Community Member
    Options

Great suggestion

Thanks for the response, I guess I'll add my "Default" password as a favorite for the websites I use the most. I didn't know they would be on top if I did that :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Haha I'm glad that helped! I'll be honest: this is pretty much my sole use of Favorites since I use search so extensively: to put my most frequently used Logins at the front of the line. Cheers! :lol:

This discussion has been closed.