I can't figure out how to remove legacy 1password 4 data from iCloud

dtrobson099
dtrobson099
Community Member

When I install 1Password on a fresh macOS machine, there is apparently a legacy copy of an old keychain somewhere in my iCloud account that I haven't been able to locate. I was syncing with Dropbox, but now that syncing via iCloud Drive is possible, I've converted to that, using the non Mac App Store version of 1Password. I end up having to sign in the new way, which is fine, but I'd rather be prompted right away that there is non-legacy data in iCloud Drive and be confident that the first (and only) thing 1Password finds on first setup is the data I'm looking for.

1Password Version: latest
Extension Version: latest
OS Version: 10.10.2
Sync Type: iCloud
Referrer: forum-search:remove 1password 4 data

Comments

• Pilar
    Pilar
    1Password Alumni

Hi @dtrobson099

I'm with you with syncing via iCloud instead of Dropbox ;) If you want to delete all your old 1Password data from iCloud you need to go to System Preferences in your Mac (not 1Password), and choose iCloud. There you can click on "Manage" in the bottom right corner. Find 1Password in the list that will appear and click on it. Finally, you can click on "Delete Documents and data" and so you'll be sure to get a clean start. If you can't find 1Password in this list it means that there's nothing to worry about :chuffed:

Please let us know how all this goes for you!

• dtrobson099
    dtrobson099
    Community Member

This actually did not work. I had to restore a Mac recently, and the only thing that showed up on the first application launch was my 1Password 4 data, which is not the correct vault. I don't seem to have access to my currently synced iCloud vault on macOS. I am able to add an iOS device without issue.

• Hi @dtrobson099 ,

I have a suggestion for you. But first, I want to clarify, that 1Password does sync with iCloud, but it is not iCloud Drive. You won't see a 1Password file in your iCloud Drive. It uses an iCloud technology called CloudKit - which is basically a database. Now, if you want to clear this out, we've provided a command. In the Help menu, go to Troubleshooting > Reset iCloud Data. It may ask you to log into iCloud via web browser in order to do this.

This command will remove your 1Password data from iCloud. If you have other devices syncing with iCloud, you'll have to re-enable iCloud sync on those devices. But if you have other devices syncing to iCloud, then you do not have to reset the iCloud data.

So when you launch 1Password on your Mac, choose "Find My Data Elsewhere" and on the next screen, click on "Pick a Different Location" and choose iCloud there. It should then prompt you to log in to your iCloud account, and then for your Master Password.

The reason it doesn't show it in the list, like your Dropbox, is that it the 1Password Webstore version (not the Mac App Store version) has to prompt you to log into iCloud first before it can check if there's data to show in the list. This would be very inconvenient and would be confusing to those who have never stored their data in iCloud.

I hope this helps. Please reply if you have further questions.

Regards,
    Kevin

This discussion has been closed.