Having trouble synching with new macmini from Dropbox

moniz
moniz
Community Member

My old iMac died and i start using my macmini that was sitting unused. I am trying to synch my 1password using Dropbox 1password folder. In the folder there is file "1Password.agilekeychain". I believe this is the file that saves out dada for 1password. When i go in preference and try synch it sees 1password folder by click synch does not do any thing. When if try synch the "1Password.agilekeychain" file with in the folder if says "1Password have found existing data in your Dropbox it will be merged with your current vault". I don't click that because i am afraid it will wipe all my data and try merging data on macmin which is empty at present.

What is that i am doing wrong.

moniz

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @moniz,

I'm sorry you're having trouble syncing 1Password with Dropbox on your Mac Mini! I can definitely help you out with that.

Just to make sure I understand the steps you're taking: From your description, it sounds like you open the 1Password app and go to 1Password > Preferences > Sync, change the sync option to Dropbox, click the Choose button, and select the 1Password.agilekeychain file from Dropbox. At that point, you see a button that says "Merge with Existing". Is that all correct?

If so, you're not doing anything wrong: Those are the correct steps to sync an existing 1Password vault on a Mac with an existing vault / sync file in Dropbox. However, that may or may not be what you want to do. Do you currently have any data in any vault in 1Password on your Mac Mini? If so, do you want to replace it all with the data from Dropbox?

If the 1Password.agilekeychain file in Dropbox has all your latest 1Password data and you want to use that to replace any data that's currently in 1Password on the Mac Mini, a better option would be to reset the 1Password app and then set it up by syncing with the file in Dropbox. Assuming you're using 1Password 6 on the Mac Mini, you can do that by following these steps:

1. Open 1Password.
    2. If 1Password is not already locked, lock the app by clicking the padlock in the upper right corner.
    3. Choose Help > Troubleshooting > Reset All 1Password Data and follow the on-screen instructions.

The next time you launch 1Password 6, it should be like running it for the first time. You should see a "Welcome" screen that asks where you have your data. If it shows the 1Password.agilekeychain file in Dropbox as one of the options, you can choose that. If not, select Find it elsewhere > Dropbox > Choose file, then choose the file from Dropbox.

Please let us know how it goes and if you have any questions about that. Cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.