Another request for OS X API

vinthewrench
vinthewrench
Community Member

I would like to add to the list of developers asking for a way to add/get passwords and other data from 1password on OS X . Where this becomes interesting is because of the sharing between desktop and mobile devices and allowing a fairly seamless login/setup cloning onto the iOS devices from a previously setup OS X apps. I would ask that in such a future API you allow more than password / username and possibly other developer defined fields. please feel free to contact me offline about beta testing a possible API..

many thanks
Vinnie Moscaritolo.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGKyle
    AGKyle
    1Password Alumni

Hi @vinthewrench

Thanks so much for letting us know you're interested in an API to interact with our Mac application.

We were holding out hope that Apple would provide us with an API similar to what they had done on iOS, but no luck so far :) This would've simplified our job significantly and potentially handled most of the security issues that surround this type of feature.

I don't want to promise anything here since we haven't started any real work on this yet but we hear you and would love to provide such an API.

• vinthewrench
    vinthewrench
    Community Member

IOS needed the API because of the sandboxing, You can do your own API easily on OS X using a number of methods, please feel free to contact me if you want some pointers on how to do this. I am more than happy t have a phone call with your engineer.
    -- Vinnie Moscaritolo

• AGKyle
    AGKyle
    1Password Alumni

@vinthewrench

We're well aware it's doable, in fact we've had a couple of very very basic proof of concepts written up. But there are security implications that need to be addressed. These security implications aren't as much of an issue on iOS because of the sandboxing and the provided API.

If you have feedback, you can send them to support+appex@agilebits.com but we don't have resources dedicated to creating this right now so while we're happy to get feedback and discuss a little, it's not something we have on the burner at the moment.

This discussion has been closed.