1Password6 Backup Failures and trouble with update

k3llymac
k3llymac
Community Member
edited December 2016 in Mac

Contrary to your many support notes, I used AppCleaner to remove 1Password4 from my machine long after I started using 1Password6. Now my backups fail and I get dozens of annoying alerts every day. 1Password6 works fine other than the backups. When I go to 1Password Preferences, Backups, Show Files it points to a 1Password4 backup folder in Finder.

I would love to send you a diagnostics report but I cannot. I am able to Generate Report from the Troubleshooting tool, but the Create New Mail Message button tries to open my default email program which is Mail which is hopelessly broken. Is it written to a file that I can find and email from Outlook?

1Password Version: 6.3.2
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10/10.5
Sync Type: None.

Comments

• Pilar
    Pilar
    1Password Alumni
    edited November 2016

Hi @k3llymac

I'm sorry to hear about the trouble that you're having with 1Password. AppCleaner can for sure cause some headaches :crazy: To send a Diagnostics Report without using the Mail App you only need to drag this icon to the email message:

It will appear at the same time as the "Create new email message" option.

Please let us know how this goes for you :chuffed:

• k3llymac
    k3llymac
    Community Member

Sorry for the delay got distracted. Well I made my problem worse. Without thinking about fixing 1Password, I upgraded to Sierra. This forced me to upgrade 1Password to v6.3.5. Now 1Password asks me to "Create Your First Vault" or "Sign in to your 1Password account". I cannot find any .agilekeychain or .opvault files on my machine. I need to search on my Time Machine and hopefully have a good backup.

• k3llymac
    k3llymac
    Community Member

Argh. Cannot find anything in Time Machine. Also cannot find 1Password backups .1p4_zip. Nothing in /Applications/1Password and nothing in ~/Library/Keychain or /Library/Keychain.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @k3llymac,

I'm sorry to hear you're running into additional problems after updating your Mac and 1Password!

...I upgraded to Sierra. This forced me to upgrade 1Password to v6.3.5. Now 1Password asks me to "Create Your First Vault" or "Sign in to your 1Password account".

Hmm, an update definitely shouldn't cause that. From your description, it's acting as if it doesn't find existing data on your Mac. But your 1Password data is stored separately from the 1Password app, so even if you completely delete the previous app file and download/install the updated one, it would look in the same location for your data and find it there. However, have you used an app cleaner again recently to remove the 1Password app? If so, that might also have deleted your 1Password data.

Or is there any chance you had been using the Mac App Store version of 1Password and then downloaded the updated version from our website (or vice versa)? Each of those versions stores data in a different location on your Mac, so if you were using one but then downloaded the other, that might explain why it isn't finding your data.

I cannot find any .agilekeychain or .opvault files on my machine.

Those types of files are only used for the Dropbox and Folder sync options, so if you don't use those options to sync your data, you won't have .agilekeychain or .opvault files on your Mac. 1Password for Mac stores your data locally in an SQLite database file.

Cannot find anything in Time Machine. Also cannot find 1Password backups .1p4_zip. Nothing in /Applications/1Password and nothing in ~/Library/Keychain or /Library/Keychain.

Your 1Password data isn't stored in either of those locations. If you had been using the AgileBits Store version of 1Password, it would have been storing your data here:

~/Library/Application Support/1Password 4/

If you can find that in Time Machine, the '1Password 4' folder should contain a 'Backups' folder, and that's where you should find the .1p4_zip backup files.

Alternately, if you had been using the Mac App Store version of 1Password, the backups would have been stored here:

~/Library/Containers/2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits.onepassword-osx-helper/Data/Library/Backups/

Are you able to find your backups in either of those locations, either on your Mac or in Time Machine? If not, had you been syncing your 1Password data? If so, which sync option were you using? Do you have that data on any other devices? Do you happen to have a 1Password.com account?

Thanks in advance! :)

• k3llymac
    k3llymac
    Community Member

I found a backup on Time Machine before I used App Cleaner and everything appears OK now. Thank god, tax season would have been bad without these passwords. I really need to shore up my backup process. THANKS!

• Pilar
    Pilar
    1Password Alumni

Hi @k3llymac

I'm glad to hear that everything's back on its feet with 1Password for you! On behalf of Drew you're very welcome! I hope that everything goes well for you from now on, but if you ever need us again we're here for you!

This discussion has been closed.