How do I sync 1Password data from my 1Password account to my MacBook Pro

Jerrold
Jerrold
Community Member

The user interface (GUI) for your application and website is among the best i've seen. However, it ends there. As nice as the appearance is, the product is unnecessarily difficult to use. For example, I am using 1Password during the 30 day evaluation period. I have a 1Password account and have registered the product on my iPhone and my iPad. I have approximately 30 logins in the account. I'm now trying to bring those logins into my MacBook Pro. However I cannot figure it out and I am fairly computer literate as I own a software company. Your help screen indicates the following:

Sync Preferences
Sync Preferences To open the Sync preferences, choose 1Password > Preferences from the menu bar and select the Sync pane. Vaults All your vaults will be in the list on the lefthand side of the pane. To the right of each vault title you may see a sync icon or two. These indicate how the vault will be synced: iCloud, Dropbox, Folder Sync, or Wi-Fi Sync. If there are no sync icons next to a vault title, that vault is not set up to sync. We have tutorials that will walk you through syncing...

Please be advised that you do not have a "Sync pane" in Preferences. I've consulted with the manual that you have online and other online resources to no avail. In review reviewing many of the posts on your website, it seems usability is a big issue with your product. I strongly suggest that you have telephone support available until you figure this all out. Usability is a major issue with this product.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Jerrold: Thanks for reaching out. I’m sorry for the confusion! The reason that you don't have a Sync tab in 1Password Preferences is because you're using a 1Password Account. There is no sync configuration. Simply login to your 1Password Account on each device to access your data. This is built in to the subscription service:

1Password sync option

I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• Jerrold
    Jerrold
    Community Member

Brently,

I'm logged in but the data did not sync to the MacBook Pro.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Jerrold: If you login to your account at 1Password.com, are you seeing your data there? I wonder if on the first Mac you have your data in a local vault, not in one belonging to your 1Password Account. Let me know what you find!

• Jerrold
    Jerrold
    Community Member

Brently,

Are you saying I need to go to 1Password.com with a browser on each device and login through a browser and not login utilizing the app on the device?

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Jerrold,

Are you saying I need to go to 1Password.com with a browser on each device and login through a browser and not login utilizing the app on the device?

No, not at all - Brenty was simply asking a question to help us figure out why your data is not showing up in the 1Password app on your MacBook Pro.

For example, if you don't see your data when you sign into your account on 1Password.com, that explains why it didn't sync to your Mac. In that case, the problem could be that your data is stored in a local vault on your iPhone and/or iPad, and you'll need to move it to your account. On the other hand, if you do see your data when you sign into your account on 1Password.com, something might be configured incorrectly in the 1Password app on your MacBook Pro.

In either case, this is probably very simple to solve - but the solution depends on what's causing the problem. So far, we know you have about 30 items, you've signed up for an account on 1Password.com, and you don't see any of your items in the 1Password app on your MacBook Pro. To help us figure out why, we just need to know some more details:

• If you sign into to your account on 1Password.com, do you see your items there?
    • Are your items in the 1Password app on your iPhone and/or iPad? (If both, do changes on one sync to the other?)
    • If you open the main 1Password app on your MacBook Pro and go to 1Password > Preferences > Accounts, is your account listed on the left side?
    • If you open 1Password on your iPhone or iPad and go to Settings > Vaults, how many vaults are listed there?
    • If you have multiple vaults there, is the first one below "All Vaults" named Primary?
    • If you have a Primary vault listed there, tap on it - which sync service (if any) is selected? Also, what is the number of items?
    • Go back (tap Vaults at the top of the screen) and tap each of the other vaults - how many items are in each vault?

Thanks in advance! :)

This discussion has been closed.