1Password still accessing 1Password4

Mork
Mork
Community Member
edited November 2016 in Mac

I've been using 1P for a long time now in multiple versions.

Today, however, I noticed that 1Password is (still) staring up "com.agilebits.onepassword4.helper" even though I'm on 1P 6.

1P is also (still) accessing the Application Support directory for 1Password4.

In that Application Support directory I have two folders: 1Password4 and 1Password.

It therefore seems 1P 6 is confused or I have an old process I need to stop.

Suggestions on how to stop the old process and it's OK to remove the 1P 4 entries?

Thanks,

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator

NO!!

For various technical reasons (essentially, that there was no change in the formats and that changing the name had its own issues) the folder in Application Support that contains your data, etc., is still called 1Password4 even though you are using 1PW6.

• Mork
    Mork
    Community Member

Okeydoke. Thanks! :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Also, the 1Password browser extensions are currently at version 4.6.1. Definitely a bit confusing. Sorry about that!

• Mork
    Mork
    Community Member

I had installed the new file firewall utility "Little Flocker", which reports any file system access attempts and that's how I saw this issue.

Thanks for your reply.

• Pilar
    Pilar
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Mork

On behalf of Brenty, you're very welcome! I'm sorry for the confusion, but it's great that you raised this concerns with us :chuffed: If you have any other doubts or questions please you know where to find us! :chuffed:

• Mork
    Mork
    Community Member

I would only ask that you let me know when, if ever, your 1P for iOS will allow me to decide which vaults I want to sync without forcing me to sync the main vault (which I never, ever, want to do). This main vault sync requirement must be due to some internal design issue. Otherwise, I could just pick any vault and not have one forced on me. The user shouldn't have to "work around" design constraints by changing how they use their vaults.

I've currently deleted 1P for iOS, but would consider it again when this one minor issue (from an outside perspective, anyway) is fixed.

Thanks!

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Mork,

I would only ask that you let me know when, if ever, your 1P for iOS will allow me to decide which vaults I want to sync without forcing me to sync the main vault

It sounds like you're using the WLAN Server option to sync your vaults? With that sync option, as you've noticed, secondary vaults are optional, but the Primary vault is mandatory. The reason for that is technical and complex, but I think "internal design issue" probably sums it up nicely. ;)

If you don't want to sync your Primary vault to your iOS device, you can use Dropbox instead. Each vault would have its own sync settings, and you can choose which vaults to sync to 1Password for iOS (so you don't need to sync the Primary vault if you don't want to).

If you have more questions about that or need anything else, just let us know! :)

• Mork
    Mork
    Community Member

Funny, but I wouldn't trust DropBox (and other 3rd party "clouds") and farther than I could throw it -- especially with my passwords.

So, my only question remains -- please let me know if you resolve the (unnecessary and, for me, a show-stopper with 1P iOS) forced main vault sync.

Thanks,

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

No problem @Mork, I just wanted to let you know that what you requested is possible when using Dropbox to sync your vaults. You didn't specify the WLAN Server option in your request, so I wasn't sure if you knew. :)

In case it makes any difference, I should also mention that 1Password is secure by design and your 1Password data is end-to-end encrypted, so 1Password doesn't depend on the security of Dropbox to protect your data. If you're interested, you can find even more information here: How 1Password protects your data when you use a sync service

I know that probably won't change your mind though, and that's fine - you certainly don't need to use Dropbox to sync your 1Password data if you don't want to. That's why we offer multiple options! ;) Hopefully we'll be able to allow the Primary vault to be excluded from WLAN Server in the future, although I can't make any promises one way or the other at this point.

Enjoy the rest of your week! :)

• tb2thee2
    tb2thee2
    Community Member

+1 on Mork's comment (Nov 8) about Little Flocker: I installed LF, found the same thing, and came here. Very nice to find the definitive answer so easily (1 search, one click, one skim) — so props for that. I wouldn't be surprised if you start to see this question more often, because LF looks very good.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Nice! I'm glad you were able to quickly find the answer when Little Flocker sent you on a wild goose chase to figure out why 1Password data was being written to when you're using 1Password. That's what the forums — and Google — are great for. Cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.