Mac at home MANY PC's at work

sean12345
sean12345
Community Member

Hello,

I am a teacher, and I use 3-4 different Windows PC's at work per day. I have normal license and everything works great on my mac at home. However I have no idea how to go about quickly signing into facebook and google at work which I need to do on a different PC every 2 hours or so. The passwords I use via 1password are impossible for me to remember (thats the point right? :), so aside from writing them down and carrying them with me, whats the simplest way to go about this?

Also the computers are different all the time and I can't install anything on them. Thanks for any insight.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Pilar
    Pilar
    1Password Alumni

Hi @sean12345

Thank you for taking some time to contact us. I can see that you've recently created an account in 1Password.com. I think that's the best way you'll have to access the data on different computers! I'd like to ask you a couple of questions to see what configuration works best for you :chuffed:

How public are these computers? Do you consider them to be secure or not? Do you have a mobile device that you take with you around? Depending on what tell me about these things I'll help you sort out the best way to deal with your situation.

I hope to hear back from you soon! :chuffed:

• sean12345
    sean12345
    Community Member
    edited November 2016

Hi @Pilar, thanks for replying. I have the normal software and vualts etc. on my personal mac at home, and I registered for the 1password account (regular one). However it doesn't seem to sync, and I cant find a way to sync or match with my normal 1password software.

To answer the questions:

These are pretty public computers, many teachers, and occasionally students will use them. They wipe themselves after each restart and I've never noticed any viruses etc, but I wouldn't necessarily trust them. So I would say, insecure.

I do almost always have my iphone with me, yes.

Thanks for any additional help. :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@sean12345: I'd say that using the mobile app, while less convenient than having 1Password on the computer you're using at the time, is the best option. Even if the PCs are wiped every day, a public machine is an untrustworthy machine, and all it would take would be one person over the course of the day installing something malicious before you use it to access your data. Manually entering a set of login credentials from your phone may be a bit of a pain, but it ensures that any compromise would be limited to that — and frankly the inconvenience is a deterrence and a reminder of the risky nature of that computer in the first place...and at that point you may as well just use Facebook on your phone, which is a trusted device you do have control over. Better safe — and a little bit annoyed — than sorry!

• sean12345
    sean12345
    Community Member

Thanks @brenty , I was coming to the same conclusion and you laid it out nicely. I think given the circumstances this is the best option.

• sean12345
    sean12345
    Community Member

Just out of curiosity, since you guys are the experts. Do you see any faults in this idea...
    What if I wrote an email to an account that I don't use for anything important and use an easy password to access.. and in this email I wrote a paragraph worth of random digits except on X line that only I know, I put my password (which is also a string of random digits). I could then copy and paste that into the account I am protecting (like email for instance).

Is there a security flaw in this idea that is worse than manually typing in my password from my phone?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@sean12345: Good question! I think the risks are relatively low there, but at the same time the weakness is that email is fundamentally insecure. And again, if you're talking about accessing this email on an untrusted machine, you may be giving it more than just that one cryptic message. Even if I don't have super sensitive information in my email, there's a lot of personal, private stuff there that I wouldn't necessarily want to chance giving it away. So for me personally, my iPhone — with a strong passcode and Touch ID — is my go-to for accessing my 1Password data away from home. Cheers! :)

• sean12345
    sean12345
    Community Member

@brenty cool, thanks for the insights! :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited November 2016

Any time. Happy to help! :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.