New iMac, upgraded to 1Password 6 - can't find my old 1Password data file

NancyEaton
NancyEaton
Community Member

We just upgraded my wife's computer. New iMac. After the migration I couldn't find the 1Password 4 data file. We then accepted the upgrades to 1Password 6. Currently running 6.3.5

1Password Version: 6.3.5
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.11.6
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:New iMac, upgraded to 1Password 6 - can't find my old 1Password data file

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@NancyEaton: Do you have a backup of your data? Or is it sync'd with other devices? It's possible that the migration did not transfer everything properly, so please let me know and we'll figure out the best plan of action!

• NancyEaton
    NancyEaton
    Community Member

We have a Time Capsule, but couldn't get to it on the new iMac

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @NancyEaton,

On the old Mac, were you / your wife using a 1Password.com account with the 1Password app? If so, just sign into that same account in 1Password on the new Mac.

Or similarly, on the old Mac, was 1Password syncing with iCloud or Dropbox? If it was, you should be able to choose to sync your data from iCloud or Dropbox when setting up 1Password on the new Mac.

If you weren't syncing 1Password at all, do you still have the old Mac? If you do, there are various options for migrating your 1Password data to the new Mac. For example, you can set up one of the sync options, or copy a 1Password backup file from the old Mac to the new Mac.

However, if you weren't syncing your 1Password data, don't have it on another device, and no longer have your old Mac, you should still be able to retrieve your 1Password data from your Time Machine backup on the new Mac. The steps to do that are a bit more involved though, so you'll probably want to go with one of the other options if possible (let us know if you need help to do that). But if you need to get a backup of your 1Password data from Time Machine, let us know and we can explain how. Thanks! :)

• NancyEaton
    NancyEaton
    Community Member

Solved. Thank you!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Excellent! Thanks for the update. On behalf of Drew, you are most welcome! I'm glad to hear that all is well. It sounds like you should be all set, but don't hesitate to reach out if we can be of further assistance. We're always here to help! :)

This discussion has been closed.