Clean Sierra install, 1Password restore

This discussion was created from comments split from: Sync iPhone 6 to Mac El Capitan.

Comments

• Mgbv8
    Mgbv8
    Community Member

I did a clean install of MacOS Sierra then restored 1PW from a backup but it doesn't find a vault, just asks if I have data elsewhere. Where should I find the vault please?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Mgbv8: If you wiped the drive to reinstall the OS, you cleared out 1Password's data as well. Did you previously sync with other devices? Do you have a full backup of everything from before you deleted it all? It may be possible to recover your 1Password data that way. Let me know!

• Mgbv8
    Mgbv8
    Community Member

I have a full time machine backup which I could use but I don't know where to find the vault. Alternatively I have a synced version on my iphone but I don't see anywhere in 1PW options how to do that, other than in the cloud and I don't want to use the cloud if possible.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Mgbv8: Thanks for letting me know! I can tell you a few places to look. I think our best bet is the backups 1Password saves automatically, since those are self contained:

~/Library/Containers/2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits.onepassword-osx-helper/Data/Library/Backups/

~/Library/Application Support/1Password 4/Backups/

If you navigate to these locations in Time Machine (Go > Go to Folder), that will take you directly to the backup files. Just grab the newest one and copy it to your Desktop so you can use it to restore from when setting up 1Password.

I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• Mgbv8
    Mgbv8
    Community Member

Neither of those folders appear to exist in the backup.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Mgbv8: Both will probably be hidden, which is why I suggested using the Go command to navigate directly to those paths. Does that help?

• Mgbv8
    Mgbv8
    Community Member

I'm using finder to look inside the backup, if I use the Go to folder command it goes to 'my user name'/Library/Containers where every filename begins with com.apple. Am I doing something wrong?

• Mgbv8
    Mgbv8
    Community Member

Sorry, I forgot to say that's what happens with the first path. The second one comes up with folder not found

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Mgbv8,

I'm sorry this has been a little more difficult than we expected!

The 'Backups' folder for 1Password won't exist yet on your Mac if you haven't set up 1Password, but it should exist in your Time Machine backup. Try following these steps:

• In the Finder, click the Go menu and select Go to Folder
    • Copy and paste the following into the Go to the folder field: ~/Library/
    • Click the Go button (this should open your username/Library folder)
    • Now click the Time Machine icon in your Mac's menu bar and select Enter Time Machine
    • Using the up/down arrows next to the open window in Time Machine, go back to the date that should have the backups
    • From the Library folder (which should be open), navigate to one of the following locations:

If you were using the Mac App Store version of 1Password:

/Containers/2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits.onepassword-osx-helper/Data/Library/Backups/

If you were using the AgileBits Store version of 1Password:

/Application Support/1Password 4/Backups/

• Find the most recent backup file, right-click on it, and choose Copy
    • Exit Time Machine, then right-click somewhere on the Desktop and choose Paste Item

If all goes well, you should have a 1Password backup file on the Desktop. You can follow these steps to use that to restore your data:

• Open the 1Password app.
    • On the 'Welcome' screen, click Find it elsewhere, select Restore from backup, then click the Choose Backup... button.
    • Select your .1p4_zip backup file from the Desktop and click the Restore button.
    • Reopen the 1Password app - it should ask for your master password.

Please let us know how it goes, and if it's still a problem, we'll continue from there. Thanks! :)

• Mgbv8
    Mgbv8
    Community Member

Got it! Thank you guys. I’ve been wrestling with alligators in a Time Machine backup having 2 users with the same name, one of which was a deleted user and that was the one with the 1PW backup. Every time I opened the Time Machine I got the whirling wheel of death for minutes so it was a very tedious business. Anyway, long story short, with root user privileges I did eventually manage to find the backup in 1Password 4/Backups, sort out the ownership / privileges issues and successfully restore it.
    So thanks once again.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

That's great news! Sounds like it took a bit of extra work, but I'm really glad to hear you were able to retrieve the backup from Time Machine and restore it to 1Password. Thanks for following up here to let us know how it all worked out.

You should be all set, but if you have more questions or run into any trouble, just let us know - we're always happy to help! :)

This discussion has been closed.