I have formatted my MacBook pro and lost my data. I have 1password on my iPhone.

IvorGriffith
IvorGriffith
Community Member
edited November 2016 in Mac

I have formatted my MacBook pro and lost my data. I have 1 password on my iPhone 5c. Can I sync my phone to Mac to retrieve the data?
Version 6.3.5 on Macbbookpro MacOS Sierra 10.12.1. Version 6.4.5 on iPhone 5c

Sync via Wifi

Many thanks

Regards
Ivor

Comments

• IvorGriffith
    IvorGriffith
    Community Member

I have now tried to sync my iPhone with MacBook pro but get message saying "Attempted to sync with a different vault than originally configured."

• Pilar
    Pilar
    1Password Alumni

Hi @IvorGriffith

I'm sorry for the trouble reconfiguring 1Password! The good news is that it should be pretty easy to get this sorted out :chuffed: Could you please try following the instructions on the top of this article? This should help you get 1Password syncing and in place back again!

Please let us know how this turns out for you :chuffed:

• IvorGriffith
    IvorGriffith
    Community Member

Hi Pilar
    Thank you for your response. I have in the meantime re-installed 1password and was wondering if I just select "Already have 1password data somewhere else" option at welcome screen.

If so could you please talk through procedures of syncing from iPhone device to my MacBook Pro via wifi

Many thanks
    Ivor

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @IvorGriffith,

...was wondering if I just select "Already have 1password data somewhere else" option at welcome screen.

That option won't actually allow you to sync data from your iPhone via Wi-Fi / WLAN Server. Sorry for any confusion about that! There isn't an option for Wi-Fi sync / WLAN Server during the setup of 1Password for Mac because it only works if you've already created a vault.

Before doing anything else, you should create a backup of the 1Password data on your iPhone and save it to your Mac by following the steps here: iOS: Create a backup

Once you’ve done that, just follow these steps:

1. On your iPhone, open 1Password and go to Settings > Sync > Primary > Sync Service > Disable Sync (confirm you want to disable it).
    2. On your Mac, open 1Password, and from the 'Welcome' screen, choose "Create Your First Vault" (or "Create a New Vault").
    3. Choose the exact same master password you use in 1Password on your iPhone.
    4. Once you have a new, empty vault in 1Password on your Mac, follow the steps here: How to use the WLAN server

Assuming it all goes well, you should now have all your 1Password data back on your Mac again. Let us know how it all goes and if you have any questions. Thanks! :)

• IvorGriffith
    IvorGriffith
    Community Member

Hi Drew
    Thank you for your assistance... I have successfully retrieved 1password data back on my Mac. Many thanks.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

That's great news! You're very welcome, and I'm glad to hear that helped you sync your data back to your Mac. Thanks for following up here to let us know!

If you need anything else, we're always happy to help. Have a great weekend! :)

This discussion has been closed.