iCloud sync bug

RichardRobertson
RichardRobertson
Community Member

iCloud sync works fine, however, if I disable iCloud drive, 1Password reports (in preferences under sync) the latest sync. The sync does not occur. I have limited data due to having to use a satellite connection for Internet access. In the Mac OS update to 10.12, iCloud Drive is a data hog and I have disabled iCloud Drive to conserve my data usage. I use WLAN for my iOS devices, however, I have 2 computers currently. The simple solution to me would be to allow WLAN sync to the second computer. This may not be best. I do not know 1Password that well.

1Password Version: 1Password Version 6.3.5 (635001) Mac App Store
Extension Version: 4.61
OS Version: Mac OS 10.12.1
Sync Type: iCloud/WLAN

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @RichardRobertson,

Thanks for reaching out to us for help with this!

The iCloud option in 1Password uses Apple's CloudKit technology to sync your data, and in order for CloudKit to work, iCloud Drive must be enabled. So if you disable iCloud Drive, that definitely explains why the sync doesn't work.

If you need to keep iCloud Drive disabled most (or all) of the time, you'll want to use a different sync option for 1Password between your two Macs. Unfortunately the WLAN Server option won't help, because that works between a single Mac and one or more iOS devices. It will not work directly between multiple Macs.

The easiest way to sync 1Password data between all your devices is with a 1Password.com account. That uses our own secure servers to sync your 1Password data. Also, the only thing it would sync would be your 1Password data, whereas iCloud is used to sync data for many different apps & services, so that should be better for your limited data plan.

Alternately, have you considered syncing your 1Password data via Dropbox? Assuming it doesn't hog your data on macOS 10.12 like iCloud Drive seems to be doing, that would also be a great alternative for you. You can find steps to sync 1Password via Dropbox here: How to sync 1Password with Dropbox

If you don't want to use a cloud service at all, another option would be to use the Folder sync option in 1Password on both Macs, and configure it to point to a sync file on a USB drive. When you open 1Password on a Mac, it will check to see if that drive is currently connected, and if it is, it will sync. That sync method would take a little more work (i.e. you'd need to remember to bring the USB drive to the other Mac and connect it when you want to sync) but maybe that will be useful in your situation.

If you have more questions about that, please let us know - we're always happy to help! :)

This discussion has been closed.