How can I stop the Mac App Store from wanting to update my AgileBits Store version of 1Password 6?

randystokes
randystokes
Community Member

I originally bought 1Password through the Mac App Store, but subsequently bought the app, starting around version 6.0, directly from the AgileBits website. For some time now, though, every time a new update is posted in the Mac App Store, it wants to update my 1Password app. This occurs even though I have already updated to the latest version through Agile Bits. When I check my copy of the app, it is always the AgileBits Store version, and already at the latest version -- so the Mac App Store is in effect offering to update to the version I already have via AgileBits. If I ignore the Mac App Store, it keeps showing the update in the Mac App Store app. Very annoying! How can I get this to stop?

1Password Version: 6.3.5
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Sierra 10.12.1
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @randystokes,

Thanks for reaching out to us for help! I'm sure we can figure this out.

The Mac App Store don't have the ability to update apps that were downloaded from other sources - it can only update apps downloaded from the Mac App Store. So if you launch the Mac App Store, go to the Updates section, and see an option to update 1Password, that means you must still have the Mac App Store version of 1Password installed on your Mac.

Please open the Applications folder on your Mac and check to see if you have more than one app named 1Password in there. If you see one named 1Password 6.app, that's the AgileBits Store version. If you see one named 1Password.app, that's the Mac App Store version - if you find that one, you can drag it to the Trash (do not use any app cleaning tools).

Please let us know if you're able to find 1Password.app in Applications. Cheers! :)

• randystokes
    randystokes
    Community Member

Thanks. It appears the problem wasn't with a copy of the Mac Store version in my Applications folder on my Mac HD, but with copies buried in Carbon Copy Clone backups stored on an external RAID drive. I deleted those copies of the Mac Store version from those external CCC clones, then reopened the Mac App Store app, and it no longer listed an update available for 1Password.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Ah, that explains it - thanks for letting us know about that! I'm a little surprised the Mac App Store was trying to update copies of the app on your backup drive. I'm glad you were able to figure that out!

Hopefully you're all set now, but if you have more questions or need anything else, just let us know. Have a great weekend! :)

This discussion has been closed.