Popup appears requiring click to 'Update 1PW Extension"

ssrayjr
ssrayjr
Community Member

Running 1Password version 6.3.5 on a MAC. Today I am getting a popup that requires a click and I have not clicked for fear of a virus. The popup is titled "Update 1P Extension". The body then says "1PW extension requires an update to continue working in Safari. To update later visit 1pw.ca/browser. Then it has two buttons one says "Not Now" and the other reads "Update Now". If I click Not Now, nothing happens and the popup will not go away. I am afraid to click on "Update Now" for fear this is a virus. Have been using 1PW for quite awhile and never seen anything like this. Was using just yesterday with no problems. Happened today on first boot up. Appreciate any input on what I should do. thanks

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• RA Johnson
    RA Johnson
    Community Member

I am having the same problem today but only on my iMac. Not on my MacBook Air. I cannot get 1Password to work because of this popup window which will not leave the screen.
    1Password version 6.5
    Extension version - Using 4.6.1 this problem is requesting to install - 1Password -4.6.2.safariextz
    Mac OS 10.12.1
    Sync Type = Dropbox Sync

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @ssrayjr,

Thanks for reaching out to us about this! I'm sure we can help you figure out what's going on.

First, please check which version of the 1Password extension you currently have installed in Safari. To do that, go to Safari > Preferences from the menubar, then click on the Extensions tab. Find 1Password in the list of extensions (on the left) and select it. Then the version number will be listed on the right.

Currently, the latest stable version of the extension is 4.6.1, so if you have a lower version installed, that explains why you're being asked to update it. In that case, you should also see that an update is available in that same Extensions window. Select the 'Updates' option, and it should give you the option to install the update (go ahead and do that).

If you already have 4.6.1 installed, or if you have any trouble installing that update, please let us know. Thanks! :)

• RA Johnson
    RA Johnson
    Community Member

That was my problem in Safari because I had an much older extension. I deleted it and installed the current version and all is good.
    Today I had that same with Firefox on the mac so I deleted the old and restarted Firefox and installed the current extension and now both are current.
    Thanks for your reply

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

You're very welcome, and I'm glad that helped you solve the problem in Safari and Firefox! Hopefully you're all set now, but if you have more questions or need anything else, just let us know. :)

This discussion has been closed.